Notifications
Clear all

Help picking out a new amp

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@paigemont)
Topic starter  

Hey guys, this is my first post. Nice to meet you!

So, after four years, I'm finally upgrading my amp. The problem is, I don't even know where to begin. I basically know nothing about amps.

Here's what I'm looking for in the amp: I play in an experimental band, so I would like a good clean tone and also (if possible) a savage distortion for our war metal tributes. Also, I play straight-up jazz and some classical, so I would like a sound that suits those styles. I will also probably be using it to play bass and maybe plug my acoustic/electric in every once in a while too. It will be a studio amp almost exclusively, so it doesn't have to be too loud. Also, I'd like to have some built-in effects if possible, but I suppose they aren't really necessary.

So, in summary, I would like the most versatile amp I can get for under $500. I know I won't be able to get everything, but hopefully you guys can help me out anyway. Thanks a lot!

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Hi and welcome,

Everyone will have a different opinion when it comes to amps. Some like solid state, some all tube, and some like hybrids (which are both tube and solid state combined. I could set and list numerous amps, but what it come down to is you trying different ones out and deciding what you want to sound like. My opinion theres a big difference between solid state and tube. Tube amps are the driving force that many pro guitarist like myself use.

If you spend a little time reading through this part of the forum you'll find other Questions similar to yours with lists and lists of different amp makes and models, along with signal chains for creating that highly sought after killer sound and tone most guitarist are looking for.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@tgrover)

Go and play some sweet second hand marshall valve amps.... that will sort you out

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Tough one. Since you'll be using it in the studio, the classic disadvantages of weight and volume issues don't really count, since even a small wattage amp will do. It's about sound quality here.

Line6 Spider/Flextone: ok cleans, HEAVY distiortion
Vox AD60VT: Grand clean/rock tones, no death metal distortion
Used Marshall JCM800: Nice clean, very good rock, can go as heavy as you want using some external equipment.

These would be the ones I would consider. Do note it is infinitely easier to properly record a digital amp, so when you go for a used tube amp you might want to find someone with experience mic'in it. None of the amps above handle bass guitars well.

ReplyQuote
(@mike-s)

Try and find a Carvin AG100D...it sounds like what you might be looking for...I use it for my bass, acoustic guitar, can use it with my electric and some effects pedals...only about 35 lbs, 100 watts...and is under 500 bucks. I absolutely love it!

Check it out at http://www.carvin.com

ReplyQuote