Clear all

help this newbie with concept on guitar sound

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@coolforyou)
Topic starter  

Hi guys ,

I found that guitar is low level instrument which produces low DB sound when compete with digital keyboard and digital drum pad during live concert . i am struggling a lot with this problem while playing in my church , even thou i keep full gain , mid , high in mixer for guitar , keyboard easily dominating guitar just by little volume .

So can any one give a good cheap solution for this ? will analog distortion pedal helps me to increase the DB level equal to keyboard and drum pad ? or should i have to buy a small amp(like marshall or VOX ext) so that the output from the amp to mixer gives equal volume like keyboard ? or should i have to buy a digital processor to over come this sound problem ? and i have great confusion
on the difference between analog pedal( MXR , BOSS) and digital processor (like ZOOM )

can any one help me with this by suggesting some good solution and make me clear my doubts .. THanks in advance

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hi guys ,

I found that guitar is low level instrument which produces low DB sound when compete with digital keyboard and digital drum pad during live concert . i am struggling a lot with this problem while playing in my church , even thou i keep full gain , mid , high in mixer for guitar , keyboard easily dominating guitar just by little volume .

So can any one give a good cheap solution for this ? will analog distortion pedal helps me to increase the DB level equal to keyboard and drum pad ? or should i have to buy a small amp(like marshall or VOX ext) so that the output from the amp to mixer gives equal volume like keyboard ? or should i have to buy a digital processor to over come this sound problem ? and i have great confusion
on the difference between analog pedal( MXR , BOSS) and digital processor (like ZOOM )

can any one help me with this by suggesting some good solution and make me clear my doubts .. THanks in advance

It sounds like you're trying to run guitar direct into the mixer. Couple of options for you from lowest cost to highest . . .

Passive DI box - this will convert the I/O levels to live level. will not change sound. best for acoustic guitar.
Active DI box - same as above, usually has some minimal pad/boost/EQ options. Some can handle amp level input. best for acoustic guitar.
Sansamp modeling DI - Will do a single amp emulation, and sound like an amp input to a mixer
Sansamp classic - models multiple amps
Modeling effects pedal with line level output.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@coolforyou)
Topic starter  

It sounds like you're trying to run guitar direct into the mixer. Couple of options for you from lowest cost to highest . . .

Passive DI box - this will convert the I/O levels to live level. will not change sound. best for acoustic guitar.
Active DI box - same as above, usually has some minimal pad/boost/EQ options. Some can handle amp level input. best for acoustic guitar.
Sansamp modeling DI - Will do a single amp emulation, and sound like an amp input to a mixer
Sansamp classic - models multiple amps
Modeling effects pedal with line level output.

@Moonrider ,

Thanks a lot for your useful and kind reply Mr.Moonrider . Yes of course , you are right , i am trying to run my guitar directly into mixer .

passive DI box and Active DI box both you have mentioned for acoustic guitar alone right ? it will be not be good for Electric guitar right ?

sorry i stay india and Tech 21 is not available in my place , so if you can please suggest me online site for buying it , but still i feel Sansamp modeling DI and Sansamp classic both are costly , can you please suggest one analog or digital box( what ever is best ) which functions only to increase the gain , decibel and amplifies the Guitar sound with two in and out pins ? for the price around 100 $ or below 100 $ . Thanks in advance . Sorry for too many request

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Thanks a lot for your useful and kind reply Mr.Moonrider . Yes of course , you are right , i am trying to run my guitar directly into mixer .

passive DI box and Active DI box both you have mentioned for acoustic guitar alone right ? it will be not be good for Electric guitar right ?

If you want a pure, clean electric guitar sound, then a passive or active DI will be fine. If you want distortion in the sound, you'll need to go with some type of distortion pedal along with the DI box.

<opens a tab to do some research>

The other guitar player in our band uses this active DI. It's quite flexible, and can be used with Mic, guitar, line and amplifier levels. It's $39 US

http://www.saptaswara.in/product-details/western-instruments/gi100/48/2057

I would couple it with a good, inexpensive overdrive/distortion pedal like a Boss SD-1, which is $49 US

http://www.saptaswara.in/product-details/western-instruments/sd-1/3/869

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

ReplyQuote
(@coolforyou)
Topic starter  

Woooow , this is a amazing idea Mr.Moonrider ,I THANK GOD FOR YOUR WONDERFUL HELP . Thank you very much . I actually live in the place where http://www.saptaswara.in is in . I don't know how you exactly gave the link from this site :shock: .

So for sure i will buy BEHRINGER ULTRA-G GI100 , but i went through the manual and i found only one guitar input can be given this active DI , can you please suggest me a active DI box like this which has two inputs(one for electric guitar and another for acoustic guitar comes with same box ) and two outputs ? sorry for disturbing you by giving more request :( .

Regarding Distortion / overdrive , I am so happy that you have suggested me a good one BOSS Boss SD-1 , but many of them are confusing me to go with digital multi effects processor for cheap rate , like digitech rp series , I am in great confusion is choosing good distortion/ overdrive .

Can you please suggest me whether i have to choose analog pedal or digital multi effects processor . Thanks in advance :)

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Woooow , this is a amazing idea Mr.Moonrider ,I THANK GOD FOR YOUR WONDERFUL HELP . Thank you very much . I actually live in the place where http://www.saptaswara.in is in . I don't know how you exactly gave the link from this site :shock: .

So for sure i will buy BEHRINGER ULTRA-G GI100 , but i went through the manual and i found only one guitar input can be given this active DI , can you please suggest me a active DI box like this which has two inputs(one for electric guitar and another for acoustic guitar comes with same box ) and two outputs ? sorry for disturbing you by giving more request :( .

Regarding Distortion / overdrive , I am so happy that you have suggested me a good one BOSS Boss SD-1 , but many of them are confusing me to go with digital multi effects processor for cheap rate , like digitech rp series , I am in great confusion is choosing good distortion/ overdrive .

Can you please suggest me whether i have to choose analog pedal or digital multi effects processor . Thanks in advance :)

The main reason I suggested that particular DI was the speaker emulation, and the ability to pad/boost the signal. I believe you can use a switch to mute the signal while you do a quick guitar swap. There are passive DIs with dual input ( I use one to send a signal to the PA from my amp ), but they quite often wind up with one side having reversed signal polarity - which can lead to hum or buzz when trying to use both at once ( found out from experience ). I'd suggest simply swapping guitars at need.

Multi-effects vs. analog: The main thing is most of the low-end multi-fx aren't intended for performance use. The emulations tend to be low quality, and the build of the pedal itself isn't durable. I've tried a quite a few, and generally found that you don't get something useful on stage until you get to the $400-$500US range. That's far more than your budget.

On the other hand, the SD-1 is a very versatile "dirt box" that can emulate a wide range of amp-like sounds, from just a touch of crunch, to full blown saturated distortion. It's also very touch sensitive and will respond to your picking attack with more or less distortion. This pedal, along with a touch of reverb in the PA will give a very good general purpose guitar sound that can be used with any number of styles and genres to excellent effect.

I strongly advise taking a "less is more" approach to your effects. It will serve you well in the years to come.

Just in case you're curious you can listen to some studio work I've done here: http://www.reverbnation.com/SouthernRootsBand

The setup used for all three songs was:
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster -> Boss CS-3 compressor -> Bad Monkey OD -> Ibanez AD7 analog delay -> Marshall "Regenerator" modulation multi-fx pedal -> Behringer UT300 tremolo -> Epiphone Valve Jr amp.

By song:
Real Fine Place to Start: OD + tremolo
Wild Angels: compressor + delay + "modern chorus" setting on Regenerator, add OD on the solo
Little MIss Honky-Tonk: OD + amp driven to power tube "crunch"

ReplyQuote
(@coolforyou)
Topic starter  

WOOOOOOOOW , your songs are all amazing and good . As a guitarist i love the song called "Little MIss Honky-Tonk" - superb country style lead . As a commercial listener i love "Wild Angels" and "Real Fine Place to Start" - she sings well .

The main reason I suggested that particular DI was the speaker emulation, and the ability to pad/boost the signal. I believe you can use a switch to mute the signal while you do a quick guitar swap. There are passive DIs with dual input ( I use one to send a signal to the PA from my amp ), but they quite often wind up with one side having reversed signal polarity - which can lead to hum or buzz when trying to use both at once ( found out from experience ). I'd suggest simply swapping guitars at need.
Thanks a lot @Mr. Moonrider , for your care and for recommending the best choice that will suite me and will solve my problem. Thanks again

So , for sure I will buy “BEHRINGER ULTRA-G GI100” as you have suggested. I Think there is a switch to mute the signal in BEHRINGER ULTRA-G GI100 right ? correct me if I am wrong or I have to buy a separate switch to mute the signal for swapping our guitar ?

On the other hand , for sure I will buy “BOSS SD-1 “ as you have suggested . but while searching in net about BOSS SD-1 , I got something like BOSS SD -1 mod , BOSS SD - 1 c6 mod , BOSS SD- 1 keeley mod , BOSS SD - 1 schematic ext …. Soo many BOSS SD-1 analog pedals , what is the difference between these pedals ? shall I blankly buy the plain BOSS SD-1( http://www.saptaswara.in/product-details/western-instruments/sd-1/3/869 ) which you have suggested , without even knowing about those different BOSS SD-1 mod’s ? it is up to you to recommend MR.Moonrider .

I have to connect my guitar like the below right ?

1 .Guitar > BEHRINGER ULTRA-G GI100 >Boss sd 1 > mixer
or
2. Guitar >Boss sd 1 > BEHRINGER ULTRA-G GI100 > mixer

which one of the above is correct Mr.Moonrider 1 or 2 ?

and what is amplifier simulation and speaker emulation ?

THANKS IN ADVANCE . I think this will be my last post in this thread and I have learn t a lot from you , so after you have cleared some of my minor about , sure I will buy the speaker simulation(ULTRA-G GI100 ) and analog pedal (BOSS SD -1) thank s a lot , MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR ABUNDANTLY AND MORE .

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I have to connect my guitar like the below right ?
2. Guitar >Boss sd 1 > BEHRINGER ULTRA-G GI100 > mixer

and what is amplifier simulation and speaker emulation ?

I took a closer look at my friend's Ultra G at band practice, and it has two "pad" switches of -20db used to regulate the output signal. Both of these pushed in effectively mutes the signal.

Number 2 quoted above would probably be the best order of connection.

Amp and speaker simulation / emulation means that the sound of an amplifier or speaker cabinet is simulated by digital or analog methods.

Mods are after market modifications to the circuits of a pedal to change the sound of it. MOST are "do it yourself" kits. I'm horrible with a soldering gun, so I've always been one who uses the stock equipment. I buy kit because it does what I want it to do.

I'm glad you liked the music! Thank you for your kind words!

ReplyQuote