Clear all

High Pass Filter Question

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

On my board on all my channels i have a switchable high pass filter and I'm really confused about what it does. If i switch it on does it allow only the highs/mids to go to my mains and cut all the lows??? If so what happens to my lows do they go to my sub???? Or am i just totally off. When should I use this switch???

By the way I did an awesome sound job this weekend. Had a function with over 20 performers......(individuals and bands) at one time I had to mix and entire 40 member choir. That was fun I had 8 regular mics and 4 overheads. Their sound guy said that it was the best he has ever heard them. He said they practice 2 times a week and he has yet to get a mix better than what I did in 2 minutes. Sounds like i'm bragging but that is the first chior I ever mixed so I'm kinda proud it came out good. :D 8) :lol:

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

High Pass Filter = A filter that passes high frequencies, while attenuating those below a specified frequency.

So, depending on what frequency you select, higher frequencies will be allowed to pass, while those below that will be attenuated or cut, usually by 12dB (decibels), but it can vary with different products and manufacturers.

This is also sometimes called a "rumble filter".

It is the same as a "low cut".

Since it is on each channel it allows you to cut the lower frequencies on a selected mic or instrument. It is commonly used on vocals.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Usually, the low-cut filter is around 80Hz, which is pretty low. Since low frequencies tend to get into everything, and they suck lots of power out of the amps, I use the low-cut on EVERY channel except the bass guitar and kick drum.

-Laz

ReplyQuote