9 Users
0 Likes
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

to out power a drum set? :D

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You can't. But if you have to try to "outpower" your drummer, you need a new drummer. Drummers don't have to beat as hard as they can all the time, nor do guitarists have to be cranked WFO all the time.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

to out power a drum set? :D

The problem isn't the drum set, it's the drummer.

Tell him to use less force or lighter sticks. If he or she refuses to try to quiet down, find a new and better drummer.

If they're trying to do better, but keep "forgetting", those electric shock collars you use to keep dogs from barking make wonderful memory aids :wink:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

And if that doesn't work, stuff towels in the bass drum and have your drummer place practice mats or muting rings on the drums during practice.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I am so sorry I misprased it I ment to say How much to stay on the same page as far as loudness

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I am so sorry I misprased it I ment to say How much to stay on the same page as far as loudness

Seems like you didn't understand the replies: It depends on the drummer.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Seems like you didn't understand the replies: It depends on the drummer. I under stand about the drumer but you can't play an acoustic guitar and have a drummer and not need an amp how many watt's do you think to even be herd. 10 watt's maybe?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Depends on the drummer. A 5W amp can play nicely with a drummer who doesn't get carried away.

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Depends on the drummer. A 5W amp can play nicely with a drummer who doesn't get carried away. ok cool I have a 10 watt amp so it sould be good thanks :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Ought to be able to make it work.

Of course, a 5W amp running through an efficient speaker can easily be louder than a 100W amp running through an inefficient speaker. Guitar amps don't usually carry that kind of info.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Generally a .45

However, be careful not to wing him on an arm or leg, he needs those to play.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I under stand about the drumer but you can't play an acoustic guitar and have a drummer and not need an amp how many watt's do you think to even be herd. 10 watt's maybe?

Ah - that's another ball of wax entirely. You're going to want plenty of clean headroom for an acoustic guitar. A 10 watt acoustic guitar amp might be ok for practice, but if you plan on gigging I'd go at least 50 watts. I'd be more likely to run through the PA or have at least a 100 watt acoustic guitar amp.

Unlike electric guitar, where the "ideal" sound has a tube amp pushed into some degree of saturation which adds some harmonic distortion to the sound, an acoustic guitar needs an amp capable of producing a sound that's pristine clean. So, unlike an electric guitarist who would opt for a lower wattage tube amp they could overdrive for their "ideal" sound without being obscenely loud, you'll want a solid state acoustic guitar amp that has plenty of clean power so you can avoid pushing the amp to the point where it's distorted. I'd recommend buying an acoustic guitar amp with as much power you can afford, when you get the chance.

Here's some that have a fair amount of power that aren't too expensive:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Ultracoustic-ACX900-Acoustic-Guitar-Amplifier-?sku=480307

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-Sienna-65-65w-1x12-Acoustic-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480778

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I may have misunderstood. I thought he was asking about electric guitar amps, but using as an example that he thought an unamplified acoustic guitar couldn't hang with a drummer. (And the drummer might deserve hanging, but why take it out on the poor guitar?)

ReplyQuote
(@nomadh)

For classic rock and power blues between 15 and 50 tube watts depending on the drummer and efficiency of the speaker. For transistor amps look more for 60-100 watts or more. More for heavy metal and less for jazz or acoustic. Remember after a certain size you can always mike the amp into a PA. So don't get a stack just because you might gig a stadium someday.
It may not be an easy answer but it isn't as hard as this thread is making it :)
BTW these are not my numbers but generally agreed upon in many different posts.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It may not be an easy answer but it isn't as hard as this thread is making it :)
Who's making it "hard?"

But a drummer who can't keep it down isn't a competent drummer.

And a band with members in a volume competition will always suck.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2