How to wire a patch...

Notifications
Clear all

How to wire a patchbay?

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

As I mentioned in another post I just won a Behringer ULTRAPATCH PRO PX2000 from eBay for $40. I now want to orginaize all the cables I have all over the place! Eventually I am going modify a desk and incorporate a rack unit and a mixer stand all built into the desk.

I just read the manual for this patchbay and I am lost (Behringer isn't known for the best manuals!). Where would I begin? Is there a good site that give examples of a wired patchbay? I want to send my effects to it and don't know if each effect should go to a seperate port, whether my guitar goes to the patchbay, etc. Then how to connect it all to the mixer is the next delema (I have the Behringer UB802).

I figure when I'm done I'll be able to open my own recording studio!!

Thanks!

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Typically, you would connect the ins and outs of all of your devices to the back, and then use short cords on the front to connect the various devices to each other.

As to how to configure it, it depends on what devices you have that you are planning on connecting.
Here's a planning exercise. On paper, do the following:

Make an inventory of devices and list all the audio connections available on them.

Then group the devices by type.
-Sound sources
-Mixer inputs
-Mixer sends and returns
-Mixer outputs
-Recording device inputs (tape, digital recorder, computer...). (the outputs can be thought of as sound sources, or as part of the recording device-your choice)
-Effects
-Amp imputs

Then sit down and think about what devices you might ever want to connect to one another.
Ferinstance:Will you ever connect the input of your tape recorder to anything other than the mixer output? Maye that connection doesn't need to be on the patch. (on the other hand, is the mixer out ever going to be connected to anything else? Then maybe it and the tape in do need to be on the patch)

If you come up with more than one possible configuration for any piece of gear, then it should be on the patch.

After all that, figure out logical groupings for assigning things to the patch. It makes finding things quickly easier.
Keep the effects together in one section, the mixer inputs together on another section, etc.

And label everything very well.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Typically, you would connect the ins and outs of all of your devices to the back, and then use short cords on the front to connect the various devices to each other.

Generally good advice, except this particular patchbay includes several internal switching options which are quite useful and need to be understood to use effectively.

Mike: I just looked at the manual. It's accurate and pretty clear -- but I'm an engineer and used to reading this sort of thing. Go back to the last topic on this and do the google searches I suggested. Some of these links will undoubtedly explain in a different, maybe more understandable fashion how the various internal switching options [Normalled, half-normalled and non-normalled or parallel] work. Using normalled and half-normalled switching, you will not need to patch every connection using a cord, but can set up a standard configuration with no or few patch cords and add cords only to create exceptions to that configuration.

As you begin to understand, start simply. Use only one or two pedals and an amp and guitar. After you get the hang of connecting, then reconfiguring with patch cords, start adding other components. Be prepared to start, stop, rip up and restart several times as you learn about cabling/switching and arrangement efficiencies.

Good luck.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks Kent & gnease for the GREAT advice....I guess I'll be working on this for some time!

It's ironic.....I started playing guitar just to play the songs I liked...maybe around a camp fire, maybe if I get lucky enough to find a woman to sing to, etc. Now I have a recording studio that rivals Epic Records!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Kent & gnease for the GREAT advice....I guess I'll be working on this for some time!

It's ironic.....I started playing guitar just to play the songs I liked...maybe around a camp fire, maybe if I get lucky enough to find a woman to sing to, etc. Now I have a recording studio that rivals Epic Records!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

That's how things go. Thrust me, next year you'll be looking at your stuff now and wonder how you managed to survive without dedicated mic preams, multi-band tube compressors and hardware units to load your sample libraries into. It just never stops. :D

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The namual is pretty clear if your use to reading and understanding who it works from their point of view. I use one when I need to run a few extra outboard units that aren't mounted in my racks. Also allows for more ins and outs.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

OK...I went through and followed Kent's advice and listed all the inputs & outputs that will be used on my patchbay (the are in the photo below). Now I am a bit confused as to where to start next? I listed the V-Amp as an Amp and not an Effect...would that be OK? I am also confused as how to hook the effects up to the patchbay? Should I put each one in a seperate module or just put the whole chain into one module?

I also just realized that I forgot to include my drum machine as a sound source.

Thanks for the help!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you want to feed your pedals to one source at a time (say, all pedals to the V-amp) then you only need to feed the entire chain into one plug. When I look at that pic I think you might want to rethink about it: are you really sure that you need to attach the monitor-out to the patchbay? Only include those I/Os that you think you'll be changing on a regular basis, those connections that are permanent need no patchbay at all. For example, I think you might want to have the DSP2024 permanently in the FX-loop of your mixerboard and the tape-out of the mixer permanently into the laptop's line-in (assuming that's your DAW).

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

If you want to feed your pedals to one source at a time (say, all pedals to the V-amp) then you only need to feed the entire chain into one plug. When I look at that pic I think you might want to rethink about it: are you really sure that you need to attach the monitor-out to the patchbay? Only include those I/Os that you think you'll be changing on a regular basis, those connections that are permanent need no patchbay at all. For example, I think you might want to have the DSP2024 permanently in the FX-loop of your mixerboard and the tape-out of the mixer permanently into the laptop's line-in (assuming that's your DAW).

Arjen,

I haven't made any descissions yet...I just listed everything as advised. I am asking what my next step should be. I am also not sure what you meant by my "monitor-out"? Also, I don't knpw what you mean by "Only include those I/Os that you think you'll be changing on a regular basis"? The only real changing I would be making at the momment is from the pedals to the V-Amp. My impression of what a patchbay is used for is for flexibility in combining your resources to any configuration easily. So if I wanted to use my compressor and distortion pedals with my V-Amp I could do so without having to re-wire everything.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Here is how have everything WITHOUT the patchbay (except for the pedals). I have the pedals and the V-Amp going to the Behringer Amp Selection Pedal to switch between the two. However I can't use any of my pedals with the V-Amp this way.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

As far as I know you'd use the patchbay to plug in those devices that could work with more then one other device. So if you don't use the monitor-out of the mixer for anything else but the amp there is no need for connecting the monitor-our to a patchbay. So logically I assume you always plug in your guitar into your pedals, but your pedals could go into either the V-amp or GMX. Connect both the V-amp and GMX inputs to the patchbay, plus the entire pedal chain so you have three connections:

patchbay -> V-amp
patchbay -> GMX
pedals -> patchbay

Now you can keep your guitar into the pedals and just have to connect the pedal chain to either the V-amp or GMX in the patchbay. But then again, you could just as well use the amp selector for it: guitar->pedals->amp selector->GMX/V-amp. Personally I would set your stuff up without the patchbay as I see little need for it, yet.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks Arjen...

I just wanted to make sure the patchbay worked since I just got it doday. That's why I wanted to wire it up.

ReplyQuote