Clear all

I broke down. EVJ

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The deal is just too good. I have a fender HRD and although its great, I still wanted something a little thicker sounding for my McCarty. The strat will be my guitar of choice when playing my fender amp. Fenders just love to be paired with fenders it seems.

Anyway, $129 for the EVJ head and I managed to pick up an Avatar cab loaded with a Celestion G30 Vintage for another $110 (go late night ebay auctions!)

Just too good to pass up on...

I just love the tone of the fully cranked Valve Junior. Too cool.

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I just love the tone of the fully cranked Valve Junior. Too cool.

Me too! 8) Congrats & welcome to the club! :D

Enjoy!
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Wow, great price!

That Strat should sound sweet through it too - maybe with a boost/overdrive pedal :)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Tsss, the Valve Junior is for people with no taste. Espescially the head. ;) Congrats!

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The Valve Junior was purchased for two reasons: 5 watt crankage and that EL-84/Celestion sound. My PRS sounds too boomy through my fender, it just cries for a more growly sound. Now, I know that the EVJ isn't a marshall but it does a better job of bringing out "the goods" from the PRS. The strat and the HRD just are flat out in love with each other. If I want to play clapton, Gilmour, Ska or some such thing, Fender. But after a few beers and our coordination starts to go (fatigue plays a part also), there is nothing finer then breaking out some power chords and playing some 70's/80's metal. The PRS and the Junior (coupled with a Metal Zone) just work for that application.

Like my guitar teacher told me: You gotta have a heavy rig. He's right and the Junior fits that role for me (well, in comparison to the fender anyway)

Someday I will bust out for a Marshall but for now, Junior is da man. The marshall is on my G.A.S. list right after a taylor 410 accoustic.... But that's another thread.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I also have the EVJ head and an Avatar 2 X 12 with Vintage 30s (closed back). It is a great combination, the EVJ is an excellent sounding amp and the Vintage 30 is one of the best speakers ever.

So you want to sound like Marshall? Then pick up this pedal and run it through your rig. I promise you will think you've got a Marshall stack in the house. :twisted:

Marshall Guv'nor Plus GV-2

I own this pedal, and if you love that classic Marshall tone you will love it. I don't know how they did it, but they put the tone of the JCM800 in this little stomp-box. It is so close that only a tone-snob could tell the difference. This pedal will make your HRD sound like a Marshall too. You will sound just like Slash through those V30s. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well to clarify a bit: I don't really NEED to get that marshall sound but since I know you are a HRD owner, you will know what I mean when I say the fender glassy-ness don't work for harder rock AT ALL. Plus those 40 watts are way too much for most garage applications. The little EVJ is crunchier and more easily cranked.

That pedal you linked sounded great. Might just have to pick up that little dog.

Bottom line: Wes, as usual, your recommendations rock.

ReplyQuote