Clear all

Increasing speaker size?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I was thinking about finally getting round to buying an Epi Valve Junior 5W, but I'd prefer to use the 10" or 12" speaker in my amp now. Is it possible to do this?

Would I just have to wire one amp to the other or would I have to take them apart, etc?

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It depends. If you can plug the speaker-out of the EVJ into the speaker then that works. Otherwise you'll have to get someone to connect the two, or DIY if you're handy. A third option (if you have a FX-loop, slave-in or aux-in) is to get an attenuator and connect the line-out of that to the poweramp of your current amp. This will also allow you to crank the amp while keeping the volume low.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The EVH combo uses a jack on the back to connect its internal speaker. Unplug the speaker and you can plug in a cable to any other speaker. The standard output impedance is 4 ohms. I've played mine through an 8 ohm cab with no harm, and it sounded great. There is an extra wire for an 8 ohm output on the output transformer in mine that could be connected to change the output impedance, or an alternative 8 ohm jack could easily be installed. Heck, by now they may come that way. Mine's one of the first.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm.

Unfortunately Arjen, my current amp no longer works because I think the transistors have burnt out. So that plan may not be possible.

I'm still not 100% clear on all this agreement between impedence etc, but you seem to be saying it'll work ok, so I'll buy the amp then return to this topic. :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm sure you'll be glad you got one. They're nice little amps. And to my ears, the 8" speaker in the combo is a nice sounding one.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

The big old speaker I have at the moment has a very nice bassy-ness to it though, so I'd rather make use of it than throw it away completely.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You need to find out how many ohms the speaker in the fried amp is. Connect a wire to the terminals on that with a jack on the other end. Plug that into the Valve Junior's jack. 4 ohms it matches and like Ric said, he used an 8 ohm load without problem. You can modify it to be an 8 ohm load but that takes some expertise. Your speaker might already be a 4ohm speaker. Have you considered the Valve Junior Head? It has 4, 8 and 16 ohm outputs and is a bit cheaper. I mean, you already have a speaker. EVJ Head is $99. I have one and I love it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sw=epiphone+valve+junior

Any ideas why the head is only a tiny bit cheaper than the combo?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I guess cause it's on your side of the pond. :? Over here the combo is $139.99 and the head is $99.99 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation/epiphone-guitars-basses-accessories-guitar-amplifiers?N=100001+304279+200990&page=1

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote