6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I have played live for some time using various
in-hole pickups, and have played other instruments
using factory installed systems.  I like them for the
most part . . .  put i miss that pure accoustic sound.
So i went out and got one of those short-stands
with the short boom, and slipped in a directional
mic, aimed it at the soundhole at some 10 - 12 inches,
and at the same time using the pickup and processor
system to enhance the mic'd sound rather than
dominate it.  Got the idea from a Jeff Beck article
i read recently.  It works, although the board-techs
at some of the places i play roll their eyes at the
idea of some guy using both mic AND pickup.  

Aww.

I have used the mic alone, kinda like returning to
my roots, when that's all i used at all, but i DO like
the idea of putting a slight shape on the accoustic
sound when i want to.  

Anyone out there have ideas/ techniques they use
on live stage to keep their accoustics sounding like
real wood and steel/ cat-gut?  I know some players
use mics set at different distances for dimensional
effects.

( i play a duet/ trio combo with very light percussion,
mostly coffee-house type stuff, Cat Stevens/ J.M.Talbot
genre. Small venues, 300 seat max. )

-gary

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I've experimented from everything from having a under the bridge pickup, a sound hole pickup, even put a mic inside the guitar, and a external mic all at the same time. just to see what I could come up with.

I like using compression and a effect unit with a little chorus and delay set somewhere between 22ms and 38ms.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

If you're in a studio with a controlled environment why not just use mics? A lot of the sound you want to hear comes from the room itself. Use a reasonable quality Large diaphragm condensor (of course a neuman u47 would be ideal). Place it at about 2-4 feet away and add it to the mix to taste.  I would mic the guitar itself with an AKG C414 toward the soundhole and a pencil mic directed toward the fretboard to catch some of the string noise.  It's a tried and true way to get a natural sounding acoustic.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Pardon me I didn't read that stage part. Still, using a good mic at some distance will ad some of that woody feel to your mix. The pickup still is useful though. Try doing a gig without it. I almost guarantee your techie will ask you to plug back in.  Instead of using a compressor try using a limiter. It will allow you to bring up the guitar in the mix without sacrificing dynamics too much.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I use a single mic pointing towards the soundhole, but I've heard of others using a second mic pointing at the neck - to get the fret noise, I guess.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Most acoustic guitar pickups don't sound like the guitar that you are playing... and using a mic to get the sound is a pain.

I don't mean this to sound like a commercial, but I had the L.R. Baggs i-Beam active pickup installed in my acoustic a couple of years ago and it sounds just like my guitar... only amplified.

K & K Sounds has a interesting system as well, that based on their promotional CD, sounds pure.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Let's not forget the mixing desk - keeping all the levels flat can help keep the sound normal.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@wailingalleycat)

what i find works better than all of those is a lavalier radio mic clipped to the edge of the sound hole

Always remember that feedback is verypainful to the ears and should not be used against someone for a joke. HAHA

ReplyQuote