Notifications
Clear all

Les Paul/Marshall Tone

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@scarmean)
Topic starter  

I'm playing a Gibson Les Paul through a 150 Watt Marshall AVT 275 amp. I'm trying to get that British Blues crunch from the late 60's early 70's like Clapton, Beck, Page, etc. The tone is pretty satifying when playing alone, but solos seem to be swallowed up and lost when other guitars, keyboards, etc. in the band are playing. Is this just the way it is with this setup? I know that Fender Strats and Telecasters played through Fender Amps cut through with no problem, but that is not the tone I want. Has anyone else battled this or a similar sound/tone situation? Any ideas?? Thanks!

(@Anonymous)

I The tone is pretty satifying when playing alone, but solos seem to be swallowed up and lost when other guitars, keyboards, etc. in the band are playing.  Thanks!

How's yer EQ set up? Most of the time you're gonna need some midrange and highs added to cut through a mix.

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_freak86)

This may be because your are not Beck or Page.  I think Page had his amp putting out 100 more whats that what it did when he bought it.  I dont know a whole lot about amps though.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Nice amp by the way. If you want to make the most of the  amp you'll need to get the footswitch that's designed for it. Set up your clean, rythm and lead channels seperately boost the lead channel and Eq it to cut through the rythm section. Also what would help a great deal is having a decent PA. you can get a surprisingly good one for just over $1G CDN. Check out Behringer's site.

Mixer

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=PMX2000&lang=eng

Speakers

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=B1020&lang=eng

If you wan't to really hone your sound as a band, a PA will really help and is a worthwhile investment.  It's also a good way to ensure that everyone is heard equally well.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The tone of your sound is also dependent on the way you set-up the Volume, Gain and Tone controls of your amp. You also have Emulated Line Outputs for plugging directly into the mixer. It's a matter of truly understanding the true basics of amp tone, Amp setting. There are many factors which influence how an amp sounds. But one major contributor to tone of an amp is its preamp and EQ settings

Understanding the alternation of EQ settings and that a power attenuators/power soak enable you to dial in any amount of power Output saturation, at any speaker volume level. Which is essential for obtaining a satisfying range of amp tones. Power-stage clipping is essential to the classic amp tone sounds.

You'll need to spend time adjusting and experimenting to find a combination of the setting will help.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@scarmean)
Topic starter  

Nice amp by the way. If you want to make the most of the  amp you'll need to get the footswitch that's designed for it. Set up your clean, rythm and lead channels seperately boost the lead channel and Eq it to cut through the rythm section. Also what would help a great deal is having a decent PA. you can get a surprisingly good one for just over $1G CDN. Check out Behringer's site.

Mixer

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=PMX2000&lang=eng

Speakers

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=B1020&lang=eng

If you wan't to really hone your sound as a band, a PA will really help and is a worthwhile investment.  It's also a good way to ensure that everyone is heard equally well.

I do have the foot pedal that came with the Marshall. The band does have a mixer and PA already at our practice site, we are at the initial stages and have not used it yet. Maybe I should just wait and see how that improves things. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@heelsy)
Trusted Member

I hit the same problem when I was looking for a new amp. Tryed alot of amps but could not find the right tone for me.
I think a percentage of tone comes from the way the guitar is played, how hard you hit the stings, how far you bend and stuff like that. Maybe after you get a decent sound from your amp tryed to put a little bit "special" attention to your playing  ;)

If Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect.. Why practice?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Well said Heelsy,

A Gibson les Paul and a marshall should allready sound great.  
yes how the guitar and amp are set along with how its played all figures into the big picture.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@scarmean)
Topic starter  

As far as the playing goes, I am playing DiAddario 10's with a heavy pick. I have a heavy pick attack and do a lot of 1 and 2 stop bends. The guitar and amp have a great crunch by themselves, the original point was that the guitar was being drowned out during solos from the other instruments. This occurs using the overdrive channels, not playing clean. There is a lot of difference of opinion on amp and tone settings. Some say leave the pots on the guitar all of the way up always. Some say crank up the master volume on the amp all the way and use the guitar pots for tone and volume control. Some say turn up the preamp volumes all the way and turn down the power amp. This particular Marshall is a hybrid with tubes in the preamp and a solid state power amp. These are the variables I have been trying to tweak. Maybe (as was mentioned before) I won't really get a grip on it until we are going through the PA and Mixer. >:(

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would set the OD1 channel for playing rhythm and give the OD2 channel alittle more volume and mid punch, so when the lead break comes you switch channels and step out of the mix.

it's not any different from the way I have my rack mount pre-amps setup. Lets say preset 199 I'm using for playing rhythm then when the lead break comes I switch to preset 198. Which will have say boosted EQ settings ,delay, chorus,etc., And tweaked enough to walk me out over anything thats being played to hard because some rhythm guitar players sometimes don't think in terms of dynamics.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@scarmean)
Topic starter  

Joe

Thanks for the input, I'll give it a try.

I would set the OD1 channel for playing rhythm and give the OD2 channel alittle more volume and mid punch, so when the lead break comes you switch channels and step out of the mix.

it's not any different from the way I have my rack mount pre-amps setup. Lets say preset 199 I'm using for playing rhythm then when the lead break comes I switch to preset 198. Which will have say boosted EQ settings ,delay, chorus,etc., And tweaked enough to walk me out over anything thats being played to hard because some rhythm guitar players sometimes don't think in terms of dynamics.

Joe

ReplyQuote