Notifications
Clear all

Looking for small, cheap tube amps

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@stupidlog2)
Topic starter  

I've started recording a lot of different things of my own lately. I'm starting to branch out in my tone as well. I'm looking for some cheaper, smaller tube amps to record that sound different. I've looked at the small Fender Hot Rods, some Voxes and the Orange Crush series (althought I don't believe they are tube...) I'm definitely not looking for anything more than 30 watts, just something that can make a good sound for me to record.

(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

You may want to post a WTB under the Swap Meet topic. Just toss in a general price range and someone may have what youre looking for taking up valuable storage space in their garage/basement/storage building.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You'll have to check his site to see what he wants for them anymore, I got mine rather cheap. I have one of the 1 watt amps, connected to a open back 2x12 cabinet it sounds great. .sombrabella.com

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Really small and cheap? I like the Epiphone Valve Junior a lot. 5W, one knob, one 12AX7 and one EL84. Actually, that 5W is the maximum clean power, it's more like 10-12W all cranked up dirty, and it does get dirty when cranked. Great tones, its only flaw is that it does hum a bit.

Another small cheap amp worth looking at is the Kustom 12. I've looked at them, haven't played one. Have a friend with one who really likes it, and others who've played them and like them.

I've got an Electar Tube 10 that I'm really fond of, especially after replacing the crappy stock speaker with a Jensen MOD. They're no longer available, though. A close derivative of it is the Epiphone Galaxie 10, which has recently been discontinued. Musicians Friend is blowing them out at a very good price while they last.

Small, not so cheap is the Carvin Vintage 16. 16W normal rating, has a triode switch to cut it down to 5W. Nice amp, I've wanted one since it was introduced as the Vintage 15, maybe 4 years ago.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

fender pro jr
fender blues jr
old fender champ

if think dr z makes some small tube amps too.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote