Notifications
Clear all

LOoking to expand my sound in my band.

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@angelrckstar)
Topic starter  

Hey what's up y'all? I'm in a band called VAEDA and we use tons of effects. Just wanted to know if anyone knows about any cool new effects, we're always looking to expand our sound.

-angel

p.s. please come check out my band, we're always looking for some constructive criticism. http://www.vaeda.com

THanks aloT!!

(@alex_)
Honorable Member

this is guitar discussion not advertising central.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

this is guitar discussion not advertising central.

Alex is on it. Same person just got tagged for doing about the same thing over on the musicplayer.com forums

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If there are any more complaints from registered GN users, I'll send this where even g.com Misc board users won't go.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hey what's up y'all? I'm in a band called VAEDA and we use tons of effects. Just wanted to know if anyone knows about any cool new effects, we're always looking to expand our sound.

One of the epiphanies of my life with guitar was going to see a man named Charlie Byrd play. Mr. Byrd appeared on stage toting a nylon string guitar. He was accompanied by an old black man with a teensy-weensy drum set (bass drum, snare, and a cymbal), and his son on bass.

That was 30 years ago, and I have yet to attend another concert that has so delighted, enthralled and educated me.

If you want to expand your sound, unplug all your effects, run your guitar straight into your amp, and learn your instrument like that. A great guitar player doesn't depend on anything but his fingers and his heart for his sound.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

No offense to any one, but the idea is called K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid. Effects can be good or great, but sometimes they can create a sonic wall that is just too dissonent. It can become a place where there are minimal amounts of pleasurable sounds. Starting with the basic acoustic guitar is best. Then an electric with a clean sound. Then, add a little chorus or delay or overdive, just a little. Experiment slowly, but don't throwall the wood on the fire at the same time. It could be cold at the end of the show and you might need a little more fuel to run.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hi Angel!

Ignoring the silliness above, the problem is that there is no answer to your question. There is no "Best".

Can you ask the question differently? What type of sound do you want? There are only 3 or 4 classes of EFX, but lots of variations on them.

Let's see if we can provide some constructive assistance.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

To start your asking about main stream consumer products. Are you looking for an opinion on each of these. Now if you had been asking about equipment like TC ELECTRONICS, LEXICON, EVENTIDE, NTI, PreSonus, Avalon, to name a few, I would have taken this this Poll a little more serious.

this is solely my opinion.

DOD, Neither the stomp boxs or rack mount compressors just don't seem to last very long. Perhaps other folks have had better luck with them than I have. They sound great when they are new. the echo plus delay had a great delay sound, its now in the stomp box heaven along side numerous others.

BOSS, on the other hand has a great reputation for holding their own. only problem I've seen with them has been the power suppy circuit using the wrong adapter without a power surge protection.

DANELECTRO, I haven't used any of these so I can't advise.

DIGITECH, I wasn't to impressed with their mulit-effects pedals, seemed like they were in the ball park for sound but alittle off. On the other hand they made great rack mount processors that have stood the mark of time. the DPS-128 effects processor still after years of use will still give you great effects.

Joe

ReplyQuote