Clear all

Marshall DSL 201

14 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

hey. im havin a lot of trouble with my marshall dsl201. when i bought it i thought ited be fantastic, an all valve marshall. but i just cannot get a good tone out of it. i was hopin that with my epiphone les paul id get a nice oasis/ who style tone out of it,  that i cud play nicely overdriven open chords, and chord picks. and then a distorted but smooth lead tone.  half a year on i still cant get either. ive tried differant strings,differant actions, numerous settings on the amp but still no sucess. i need to fix it soon cus ive got my first real gig and havin paid 400 quid for it i wanna actually use it how i intended. any one any ideas on action/strings/settings i could use to get an oasis sort of sound? thankz for any help

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'm not real familiar with that particular amp, but I just read the manual and it sounds like a fascinating. You should be able to get a wide range of great sounds and tone from it. perhaps you your just not running it to the power amp and speaker saturation point.

That would give you more than enough great sound and tone. Perhaps it the pickups on the guitar are the weak line in the chain.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Can you describe in detail what it does sound like?

Nicely overdriven open chords? Are you talking when using the clean channel or distortion? Full or open chords do not usually sound well on distortion. Small 2 or 3 string power chords sound much better. Try coming way down on your gain and see if you can get those open chords to clean up.

On my HRD, if I want the type of sound you're describing, I come down to around 2 on the drive(gain). It also helps to back off on the Bass as well. Now I have a different amp, but I get a nice sound with Bass-3-4, Treble-6-7, Mid-10,  Reverb-2, and Presence-4. My controls go to 12. Too much Reverb can muddy it up as well.

Try different tone and pickup selections on your Epi. I've always heard good things about them, but perhaps as Joe said, maybe it's your pickups. Have you played other guitars through your amp?

What particular Oasis or Who songs have the sound you're looking for?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the advice so far. i dont think the pickups are the weak link, as i can get the tone im looking for out of my mates marshall avt150. a typical tone im looking for would be very similar to the one heard in 'we dont get fooled' again, as pete townsends guitar style in this track is very similar to my own. i would have hoped to have got this over the overdrive channel.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

OK, but what does your amp sound like? What is wrong with the sound? Please describe it as best you can.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

well ive been using a setting of treble 4 mid 4 bass 4 gain 5 volume 5, as ive seen recomended. and the soud is just way too bassy and muddy. when i play a typica power chord on the top three strings, all i can hear is one big bassy sound, even when the strings are picked individually. the sound just appears to wanna mix. i know that with distortion this will happen, but the tone im experincing just seems way too mixed up for a setting of 5. the bottom three strings are ok when picked individually, but when with other strings, again the sound mixes and muddies up. the sound appears to sustain for a long time when i play bass runs, and any open strings as wel also appear to sustain for way to long. when playin a bass note and then a power chord, the bass note drowns out the power chord sound, and you just cannot hear what im playing.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

well ive been using a setting of treble 4 mid 4 bass 4 gain 5 volume 5, as ive seen recomended. and the soud is just way too bassy and muddy. when i play a typica power chord on the top three strings, all i can hear is one big bassy sound, even when the strings are picked individually. the sound just appears to wanna mix. i know that with distortion this will happen, but the tone im experincing just seems way too mixed up for a setting of 5. the bottom three strings are ok when picked individually, but when with other strings, again the sound mixes and muddies up. the sound appears to sustain for a long time when i play bass runs, and any open strings as wel also appear to sustain for way to long. when playin a bass note and then a power chord, the bass note drowns out the power chord sound, and you just cannot hear what im playing.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Wow!  Would that be a heptuple post?  You might roll off the bass some.  I usually put my treble above the midpoint, the mids in the middle, and the bass below the midpoint somewhere.   Have you tried that?  Depending on your guitar, you might have to roll off the bass a lot.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

CIG

Just my opinion, but I don't like those settings at all. I have a friend who is an excellent guitarist and very knowledgeable about amps and equipment. He told me once, if you want to get tone that cuts through, you have to use a lot of mid. Now you saw the settings I use. Bass-3-4,  Treble 6-7, Mid-10. Now, I have a Fender, which are brighter than Marshalls anyway, but I think if you go down a little more on your Bass, and come up on your Treble and especially Mids you will get a better tone. Marshall's are low end anyway. I love the Marshall sound, but I have always felt they were far better for heavy rhythm than lead. They just don't stand out.

By the way, who recommended those settings to you?

ReplyQuote