Clear all

Marshall Lead 30 Watt

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mcdouggy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've found this very old and funky looking amp. It's a Marshall Lead 30 Watt (Not Master Lead) 2x10 (I think 10" anyway) solid state combo, not master volume. It's an odd looking amp, with speakers placed one on top of each other rather than horizontally. According to the guy who runs the store, he rang up marshall asking for a replacement logo, and whoever it was on the other end of the phone said they're very rare. Also, inside the amp (closed back by the way), there's a piece of brown tape saying 'shop use only' on it. Anyway, it sounds beautiful when turned all the way up, really responsive and smooth, yet overdriven with enough sustain. I was wondering if you guys think 30 watts solid state with 2x10" celestions is enough to gig with or is it not enough? It would almost certainly be on full volume all the time..I'm considering trying either a Peavey Classic 30, a Seymour Duncan 84-40 tube or a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe too..

Visit my band's website!

(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

mcdouggy,

The Marshall amp sounds interesting - I never heard of the model but the wattage should fit in with a small gig.

As far as selecting and amp, I would try all the amps you are considering and choose one.

I recently tried several including the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Peavey Classic 30 - I settled on the Peavey Classic 30. It definitely kicks out - more than adequate for a gig or small gathering plus the price was reasonable ($425USD).

Good luck in your quest :)

BS

ReplyQuote
(@mcdouggy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Bob 8), well it's probably going to be either the Peavey Classic 30 or the Seymour Duncan as the Hot Rod is going to be too loud to get power stage saturation in the places we play. I also think the Marshall may be a bit too quiet unfortunately..Am I right in saying 30 watts of solid state is around the equivalent of 20 watts of valve amp power? (I heard a thing saying solid state power is roughly 2/3 as loud as valve amp power, anybody know if this is true?)

Visit my band's website!

ReplyQuote
(@mcdouggy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hmm..I just read a post by Wes about Speaker Output being more important the amplifier's wattage..Say, would the Marshall be loud enough if I rigged up a cab? :D :roll:

Visit my band's website!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

" would the Marshall be loud enough if I rigged up a cab? "

In most instance's Yes. If need be you can always mike it. Different speaker cabinets will allow you different tones and perceived volume. This is why Mesa boogie makes some many different speaker combinations. (use to be 21) whether it be a 1x12, 2x12, 2x10 half back cab, sealed, open, 4x12 or whatever cabinet. You can pick and choose depending on what tone your looking for.

joe

ReplyQuote