Clear all

Moving up from a practice amp

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've got a new guitar and now I want a new amp and am wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Right now my setup is kinda simple:

Explorer -> Digitech Grunge -> Crate VTX15

I want something loud enough to play with a band. I'm not in one but don't want to have to upgrade again, especially with talk of forming a band floating around. I don't really care if it's tube or solid state. It doesn't have to sound super clean. As long as it's clean enough that people will know that I have it on clean, it's good. Great distortion would be nice but not absolutely necessary since I have a pedal. I don't really want built in effects. My amp now has them and I don't use them. It's too hard to switch between them. I figure spending between $300-$500.

I'm working with a bunch of small privately owned stores in various cities so any recommendations would be really appreciated and help me decide which store to go to first.

(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I want something loud enough to play with a band. I'm not in one but don't want to have to upgrade again, especially with talk of forming a band floating around. I don't really care if it's tube or solid state. It doesn't have to sound super clean. As long as it's clean enough that people will know that I have it on clean, it's good. Great distortion would be nice but not absolutely necessary since I have a pedal.Some interesting points about wattage, sales hype, and other stuff: "Amplifier Myths, Fantasies, and Facts." http://www.guitarnuts.com/amps/myths.php

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I've come to really respect the idea of having a great clean amp and doing effects in your pedals. I'd seriously take a look at something like a Fender Deville 410. Those 4 10" speakers sound damn good, and the clean is fantastic. If you have good pedals, you'll really carry the sound.

You'll want to try that out, it would be a very different set up from most grunge rockers, but you might like it.

I'd also take a serious look at some of the peaveys, they have some pretty nice amps out there these days.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Fender Blues Jr. $400 at most places.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I'd suggest Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or the Fender Blues Jr. as well. However I played the Fender 212R a few weeks ago and it has a SWEET clean for a solid state.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Or.. find a Good Used or New Marshall with at least a 12" speaker if not two of em.

I picked up a VS65R "Valve State" vs Valve State2 for less than $200 from Craigs List. No effects except a lil button to "Scoop" some of the tone. Pretty straight forward.. I usually just plug straight in and dial back on my guitar volume.

No, its not a plex or JCM, but its all Marshall. It ROCKS and is plenty loud!! I actually like the clean on this thing too. With the money saved, you have some left for a new Pedal or two like an EQ or Fuzz or Wah, or whatever.

My .02 cents :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I must say, although I don't like the sound of marshall's personally, a lot of people like the Marshall Stacks. Try to find a half-stack, or make your own stack with a head and a cabinet.

Personally, find an amp that you like the sound of, and if its not loud enough for a band MIC IT. You can always use a mic for gigs as long as you have a PA.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I have the Crate GT212, and for a solid state amp, it's not bad. Good clean sound, Rhythm channel to add some gain, and a 3rd channel that you can get "over the top" nu-metal distortion sounds from. Has reverb & a footswitch. 120 watts. Pretty loud. I've played with 2 drummers, bass & another guitar, and never had to crank it more than half way.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-CRA-GT212--m-3--brand-56--bd-crate.html

It also comes in a stack:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-CRA-GT1200HSTK2--m-3--brand-56--bd-crate.html

Good luck,
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

I'm very much with Kingpatzer on this - I too have come to the conclusion that the way (for me anyhow) is a good clean basic tone, and the rest from a processor. I've been very impressed with my experiments so far with my Zoom GFX-1.

I'll second the Fender FM series - the 2x10 (65W) is just about right for me, but the 2x12's a nice 100W, and if you really want some noise :wink: there's a 100W head and a very very nice 4x12 cab with half-sloped front, like the old classic Marshall 4x12s.

Solid state they may be, but the clean sound of the Fender FM's would take a lot of beating anywhere... and the price is very reasonable too: list $549 for the 2x12 100W combo, $416 each for the 100W head and the 4x12 cab. Obviously if you shop around you can get them for much less. In the UK you can pick up the complete half-stack for not much more than £400. Bargain or what?

BTW I was also very impressed with a Peavey Bandit I tried (2x12, 80W I think) - again, a really solid clean sound, not quite as sparkly pure as the Fenders, but again it would make a good powerhouse if you were deriving your real tone from a processor.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I want something loud enough to play with a band. I'm not in one but don't want to have to upgrade again, especially with talk of forming a band floating around. I don't really care if it's tube or solid state. It doesn't have to sound super clean. As long as it's clean enough that people will know that I have it on clean, it's good. Great distortion would be nice but not absolutely necessary since I have a pedal. I don't really want built in effects. My amp now has them and I don't use them. It's too hard to switch between them. I figure spending between $300-$500.

I KNEW this wouldn't be long in coming from you! :lol:

Given your preference in music, I'm gonna throw a recommendation at you:

This is a bit above your quoted range, but it's an amp the other guitarist in my former band uses. In this case, the advertising "hype" isn't far off the mark. It's an extremely versatile amp that will do anything from country "chicken pickin'" twang to a blitzkreig metal roar. Plus it's a good, rugged road amp that can take the kind of beating that traveling to and from gigs can dish out, even if you're careful with your equipment. Chris has had his for about ten years now, and has never had to have any type of repair.

Definitely pro level equipment at a "prosumer" price.

Carvin MTS3212

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I think you should get a stack like this.

Randall 120W 4 X 12

Randall makes great Rock amps. I have heard many and they are very impressive. OWA is going to want to look good on stage too. This amp has it all. And the price is great.

My 2 cents.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Vox gets my vote - you don't have to spend a king's ransom unless you really really want the AC30 - check out the AD--VT series.

I'm also with the guys who want to play with sound through the pedalboard. I acquired a Korg AX10G multiFX the other week and they're seriously good.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Crate also makes a half stack like the randall. I would try both of them.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

a few years ago I too moved up in amps.
I needed something that had presence on stage, as I began gigging again.
being a total single coil freak i wanted a nice tube amp.
I really like the warmth and that cool vintagey breakup when I increase volume.
I also wanted two speakers. they simply sound better in my opinion.
that said I got a great deal on a Fender Virbrolux Custom.

this isnt the amp for you however.

do look at amps with two speakers. they may be too much for now, but later when you have drums and bass backing you you'll b happy to have two speakers.

the above mentioned amps are all suitable.

look around.

Polytone makes a great solid state amp.
I know a few players that use them. Ive heard them.
the sound isnt for me, but those dudes really can get the sustain and grit to die for.

have fun looking.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I made a comment earlier about Marshall Amps that I would like to semi withdraw. I went to guitar center today, and was looking around. I was trying out the Epiphone Zack Wylde, when I was trying to decide what amp to play. I reluctantly sat down and plugged into a Marshall MG50. I must say, the overdrive/distortion channel was actually pretty nice. My previous opinions on marshalls was based on the fact I was playing through a marshall's clean channel. I still don't like the clean channel. If you have the money the MG series would be good for you.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2