Clear all

MT-2 in effects loop

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@pertazy)
Topic starter  

Hi,

I'm using a Boss MT-2 into my Peavey 5150 Head and Box. I've also got an old Digitech RP-1 in the amp's effects loop.

At present, I'm plugging my guitar straight into the MT-2, which goes to the amp, then the RP-1, then the power-amp.

I'm not really happy with my distorted sound. I tried putting the MT-2 in the effects loop before the RP-1, and loved the sound, but for some reason, there was a hell of a lot of background hum, and the sound seemed to fade in and out a lot.

Does anyone know what this is, and how to fix it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll say Hi and Welcome.

My be a couple different things, the modulation chips timimg between the two pedals, maybe mis-matched in's and outs, some type of power supply transformer in one pedal being picked up by the other. Have you tried running the amp without the effects, then micing the amp into a mixer and run the effects looped from the mixer. This is the route I use, I get the tone first then add effects post.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

You probably don't want to run a pre-amp into the MT2 since that pedal will probably create the bulk of your sound. Dish the Digitech for now and just put the MT2 in front of the amp and turn those knobs on the pedal and pre-amp until it sounds the way you want it. Then either put the Digitech in the FX loop or go Joe's way, both will do. But definitely get the core sound correct and keep the MT2 out of the loop.

As with anything gear related, just a suggestion. There's is no real right or wrong so what I would do might not be what you should do.

ReplyQuote
(@pertazy)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Forrock_star, unfortunately I don't have a mixer, so I have to make do with what I've got. I thought about what you said about possible conflicts between the MT-2 and the RP-1 though, and after tinkering around I found that if I turned off the RP-1 compression, the problem is largely solved.

Arjen, my set-up was basically how you have described it, and I wasn't really happy with my distorted sound -- it was thin, trebly and had no real punch or power. I didn't break it down like you suggested though, ie. by removing the RP-1 altogether, tweaking the MT-2 and the preamp, and THEN putting the RP-1 in the loop. I'll try this too, and see what I come up with.

Once again guys, thanks! It's been a real help!

ReplyQuote