Clear all

Multi Effect & Modelling Boards

37 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, decision made. I went for the V-Amp 2. $90 this weekend at your local Guitar Center. My reasons:

Price - I'm gonna get a GT-8 someday, but for now I stuck with inexpensive. Also, playing with this thing might give me some hands on knowledge for when I upgrade.

Your reviews.

Thanks everyone. I'm liking it so far.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Good choice for now. Besides, my GAS philosophy states : "One can never have enough gear".

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Mikespe, how do you have your VAmp hooked up to your amp? I see something about needing a stereo out to a single in or something like that.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mikespe, how do you have your VAmp hooked up to your amp? I see something about needing a stereo out to a single in or something like that.

Depends on your amp..my amp has a slave right/left jack and I hook it up through that...this way the preamp from the amp itself is bypassed and I use the preamp from the V-Amp...

You could also use the effects loop jack if you have one...

If not you can just go to the line in jack on the front of your amp..but then you will have to set your amp for the cleanest channel it has...

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

One of my amps has pre-amp L & R. The other two have just the guitart input jack. According to what I read in the manual, I will need to go from the L & R output to the L&R on that one, and from the L&R output down to the one guitar input on the other two. Does this make since?

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

RP,
You'll love the V-Amp. Give it a few hours to get to know that thing. I found it just a bit confusing at first and I almost returned it cuz it didn't make any sense, but after a while it all made sense.

Ciao for now,
Darren.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

One of my amps has pre-amp L & R. The other two have just the guitart input jack. According to what I read in the manual, I will need to go from the L & R output to the L&R on that one, and from the L&R output down to the one guitar input on the other two. Does this make since?

Only one way to find out :wink: ! It won't hurt anything...one way to tell is to turn the distortion up on your amp and then try a clean tone on the V-Amp...if you get a clean tone through your amp that means you bypassed the preamp of your amp (say that 10 times fast! :lol: )...

L/R OUT from the V-Amp to L/R IN on your Amp (NOT the other way around! The guitar plugs into the single IMPUT on the V-Amp located on the lower right side.

If not then either check the specs for your amp and the V-Amp manual...or you could ask Arjen...he helped me with the way I set mine up...but he has thesame amp as me so that was easy!

If you go to my site HERE I have a few sites for V-Amp resources. I highly suggest you join the V-Amp Yahoo Group...hey have a TON of resources!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Rparker,

There are a few ways to set it up. If your amp has one speaker there's little point in using the V-amp in stereo. If this is the case with the amp that only has a main input just plug a cable from the left V-amp output into the input. This puts the V-amp in mono mode. If you have two or more speakers and a stereo FX loop you can plug the L&R V-amp outputs into the L&R FX return loop.

I personally would go with the FX loop since you would like to amplify the V-amp signal as cleanly as possible. Using the amp's pre-amp won't do much good so go direct into the poweramp. Experiment with the different live/studio modes you can set the V-amp to, depending on whether you plug it into an amp, PA etc.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again guys. I think I'll go with the one speaker modes for a while. I tell ya though, I was stunned about how good this sounds through headphones.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks again guys. I think I'll go with the one speaker modes for a while. I tell ya though, I was stunned about how good this sounds through headphones.

If you have either a midi port or game port on your computer you can do further tweaks to the tones that you can't do with the control knobs. You can also get a midi to usb adapter cable (m-audio and edirol make them). I haven't done this yet since the cable is $40 but I may soon...

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Rparker: That headphone sound is basically what the V-amp is for, and you can directly record that sound or send it to a PA system. Using an amp is still great but as you'll hear just a tad less. Using the MIDI interface is a great idea indeed but I wouldn't bother with USB. It costs more and there is no need at all for it. Can't imagine a situation where you'll be using your pc and you need less latency when building patches, it's pretty much instantaneous already without using USB.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just did a mono hook up from the left output into the guitar input on my FM 212R. Now I'm more than pleased. Crisp clean distortion and crunch when I need it. Awesome stuff. Did the same into my Line 6 running on clean. Did OK still.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I've had my V-amp2 for a month now. It is so cool, versatile and really makes anyone sound good. Even me.

The variety of sounds you can get will make you sit for hours just experimenting. My first experience was with headphones as it was late at night and couldn't afford to wake everyone up. :twisted: Now I've even got it connected to my computer so I can jam loud anytime I want and even record for a good laugh the next day. :oops:

You'll really like that device in....4....3....2.....1......NOW!!! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Looks like you've hit the spot, rparker - and the Behringers are good, no mistake.

Just to pick up on Wes's post, though, I'm a big Zoom fan too. My current favourite's the GFX-1 - simple, versatile, built like a small purple tank. All metal, quality ins & outs, switchgear. I use it all the time, and it's never missed a beat.

Like Wes, what I really like are the amp models/distortions - truly natural, warm, tubey, responsive. I love the way they (esp. the US Blues (Tweed DL that is) and Marshall) clean up when you back off on guitar vol / pick attack, and get so satisfyingly dirty when you open up and dig in 8) I use mine mainly either through a little solid-state Fender (set clean, with all EQ flat) at practices and v small gigs, or on stage DI into the PA, and the cabinet models really help there, giving warm depth and realism to the sound.

Good range of modulation effects (not that I use those that much, only the chorus, which is nice and subtle, open and not overlush), good reverbs & delays, and a really excellent compressor/limiter module that I couldn't live without. The noise gate (ZNR) helps too - esp as I use single coil pups all the time :wink: Having four patch pedals (stores 40 patches in 10 banks) and very little latency means you can set up a bank for even the most tonally complex piece, and have all the sound changes right there at your toe.

Inexpensive, too - GBP99 UK list price, often cheaper. Ridiculous bargain. And bear in mind I've used Vox amps most of my life, so used to be a real tube snob. Never would have believed I could be so happy playing through a PA - and it keeps Phil the sound guy happy too!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Can i use these effect processors with a guitar and music systems like sony hi fi .I mean can i jack in the guitar cord into the karaoke space in that music system.(its a 2 * 100 W system with super groove n vgroove ) :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3