Clear all

Multi Effect & Modelling Boards

37 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Can i use these effect processors with a guitar and music systems like sony hi fi .I mean can i jack in the guitar cord into the karaoke space in that music system.(its a 2 * 100 W system with super groove n vgroove ) :wink:

I looked at my manual. I didn't see it. Maybe one of the good people here can answer that.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Can't see why not, as far as the amp part of it goes, Rahul ... to clinch it, have a look at the input sensitivity & impedence in your hifi manual. My GFX-1 manual just lists an output load impedence of 10 kilohms or more, and a MAX output level of +3 dBm. (Yer average guitar amp is 500Kohms to 1Megohm input impedence.) Any decent processor will have an output level control anyway - the GFX-1 goes in 40 steps, so pretty fine adjustment.

If you think that in the old days we'd often use a general purpose head (e.g. the grand old Selmer T&B 50) for PA (and that just meant vocal mics, maybe harmonica), lead, or bass, you should be OK. With the T&B 50 you were recommended to use different speakers (4x10 columns PA, 2x12 lead, 1x18 :shock: the Selmer Goliath bass) but it was the same head.

Only thing would be the speakers, in fact - you'd have to be careful not to crank it. Hifi speakers aren't designed for the large excursions you get with an electric instrument at high volume - something to do with the cone suspension, and the clearance between the voice coil and the magnet, I think. There must be a techie or two around the forum who could give you a proper explanation. You might be OK if you took it easy - but a few over-enthusiastic power chords could send your speakers to the dump before you could say Pete Townsend ...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

PVtele

So you means to say that using it can be dangerous ?i can't risk that system for it.
but tell me one thing.If i suppose play metallic , nirvana , or green day or any heavy rock band with pots of electric power chords on a cd in my system it remains fine , i mean the system is designed to play cds , isn't it.So if it can amplify what is on a cd to any extent why not the real time elec.?

Just a big confused over here...(and i won't use a sony then , i have a pioneer 2 * 35W system that .. i can start with )

Thanks for your reply , (i can see that you are gonna be a useful poster on GN :wink:)

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

So you means to say that using it can be dangerous ?

Only to your speakers, Rahul!
So if it can amplify what is on a cd to any extent why not the real time elec.?

Actually, I'm at the far edge of my technical knowledge here (help me out, someone :? ) but I think the problem is that when you play a CD, Green Day or whoever, the power chords are all part of the mix, along with bass, drums, vocals, whatever else. But when it's just you and your trusty LP (Strat, SG, Tele, pointy-headstock Ibanez RGT ...) all the oomph is conentrated in just that one instrument's frequency range. Now I know that's a sadly unscientific explanation, but they tell me something like that's the case. Yes, if you've an old system you can try it on, give it a go and see what happens. I might well be wrong. In fact I hope I am :wink:

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mike (PVTele)

Thanks for all the knowledgeable responses.

I too am not that knowledgeable on this subject, but I believe that one reason home stereo or PA speakers can handle recordings, but not necessarily individual instruments is that recordings are highly compressed. Each instrument is compressed. So you do not get the high peaks of power that you do in live situations. It is these peaks or surges that damage speakers.

But it is possible to damage home stereo or PA speakers with recordings. If you push an amp into clipping, the speakers can be damaged.

I have heard clipping as described as jumping too high in a room with a low ceiling. You bump your head.

Here is a good article on distortion and clipping in audio systems.

http://sound.westhost.com/amp-sound.htm

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

If you push an amp into clipping, the speakers can be damaged.

Ah, that might be it, Wes ... I knew someone would nail the cause.
http://sound.westhost.com/amp-sound.htm

Great article - I'll have to read it little by little though. Too much of that stuff and my brain overheats, and I have to go and play Joe Zawinul's 'Mercy, Mercy, Mercy' to regain any form of sanity :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Wes, Rahul, I've just been exploring further in that ESP site you pointed us at, Wes, and I find there's a section, 'Powering Up' on this page http://sound.westhost.com/instamps.htm that explains exactly what's going on, and why you can have problems using hi-fi equipment as instrument amplification.

This is the key quote:

"The level of sound produced by a guitar amp is usually way out of proportion to the quoted power rating. For example, a 100 watt guitar amplifier played normally (for a rock guitarist) will produce an average sound pressure level of about 120 dB at 1 metre. Try that with your hi-fi and you will most likely have speaker cones (and/or your neighbour's projectiles) all over the listening room floor. The reason is quite simple. Because the amp is being overdriven, peak limiting will occur - clipping of the output waveform - which reduces the peak to-average power ratio of the program material. The peak to average ratio of a guitar signal is about 20 dB; that is, the peak level as a note or chord is struck will be 100 times higher than the overall average level. An overdriven amplifier may reduce this ratio to 2:1 (3 dB) or less, and as a result the average power is higher.

A further power increase results from the fact that a severely clipped waveform will approach a square wave, which has twice the power of a sinewave of the same amplitude. The result is a 100 watt amplifier delivering an average power of perhaps 170 watts short term (i.e. maximum level indicated on a VU meter), and up to 130 watts averaged over a 5 to 10 second period.

Compare this with an undistorted amp handling program with a peak-to-average ratio of 100:1 (20dB). The long term average power will be in the order of 2 to 5 watts with peaks of 100 watts. With mild distortion, say less than 15%, the average power climbs rapidly to around 25 watts; increase the distortion further and the power climbs again until, with maximum overdrive, a 100 watt amp will be delivering 200 watts!"

Just about says it all, really!

Mike

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3