Skip to content
Multi-effects in fr...

Notifications
Clear all

Multi-effects in front of amp or into effects loop?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jcarndt)
Topic starter  

I just got a Korg toneworks ax1500g, and I'm trying to decide if this thing is supposed to go in front of my amp , or into the effects loop. Anybody out there using this box, or a similar unit? Also, I'm wondering about the cabinet simulation, should this be on or off when running into the amp? I'm playing a Carvin Bolt and a Telecaster through a Tech 21 trademark 60. I've never used effects before so this is new territory.

(@pickswipe)

Hey dude, one thing I can say is that-it depends. When you're running an a multi effects pedal it's always gonna have the processed sound no matter what you do, but that comes with the territory. My advice however is that you run the pedal directly into the amp, which makes life a lot simpler, and not through the effects loop. I have seen a few people running maybe one or two fancy effects through the dedicated loop, but it makes life more complicated and that defeats the whole object of a multi effects pedal doesn't it? 8)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You can do it either way.

I am not familiar with your amp, but on mine when you run through the effects loop it by-passes the volume and tone controls. So I prefer to run effects straight into the normal guitar input. Then I can adjust the volume or tone of my amp just in case a patch is not quite to my liking. But this is just a personal preference. Others may feel that this colors the sound of your presets. I would just try it both ways.

As far as the cabinet simulations, I would say just try them and see what you think. I would probably set your treble, bass, and middle tone controls at 12 o'clock on the amp and turn off any reverb, presence, or bright controls.

I have kind of a love-hate relationship with these multi-effects pedals. I love the great variety of tones and effects you can get for a low price.
However, I have never found one that does not have to be tweaked a lot to use in live situations. One preset is loud, another is quiet. Some have way too much gain and reverb for live use. These units sound great through headphones and in the bedroom, but they take a lot of work to use for gigging. Some have a big delay when switching presets. I absolutely hate that. They are excellent for making recordings however.

So read your manual carefully and learn how to modify the presets. You can always go back to the default settings, so you can't mess up.

As much hassle as these units are, I have been seriously considering getting another. :roll:

Happy Thanksgiving and have fun with your pedal. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jcarndt)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. Pickswipe, I think you are right about it being simpler to just run right into the amp, I would prefer to keep things simple.
Wes, you have some good points as well. Especially about the "love-hate" relationship. I've only had this thing for about a week and I already love/hate it! I love some of the fantastic sounds it is able to produce. I hate the fact that I seem to be spending more time messing with the new gadget than actually playing guitar. Life was much simpler when I was just a no-effects kind of guy :roll:
thanks again,
Jim

ReplyQuote
(@pickswipe)

Stoked glad to help. Wes your advice is also awesome, obviously an experienced player :)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It depends on the effects you are using. For example, a phaser before the pre-amp input sounds wildy different from the phaser in the FX loop. I have two setups, as follows:

Boss GX700 multi effect
Behringer V-amp 2 modeler
Behringer GMX212 am.

guitar -> input GX700 -> FX send -> input V-amp -> output V-amp FX return GX700 -> HiFi set.

This way, the guitar is plugged into the FX unit, and the modeler is put in the loop of it. Effects like compressors are placed before the V-amp, and effects like Flangers are after the V-amp. The second setup is basically the same, but the V-amp is replaced with the amp, and the HiFi set is replaced by the internal poweramp/speakers of the amp.

ReplyQuote