24 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@xkatex)
Topic starter  

Hey, everyone! :)

I've recently been checking out some multi effects, mainly ones by Boss:

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/p_multieffects.html

but I thought I'd ask a few things first before I part with the cash.. What I'd like to know is, does anyone here own any of the boss products above? If so, which model do you think is the best one to go with? I kinda like the Boss ME-50, but like I said, I'd just like to way up the pros and cons. :?

If not Boss, can you recommend any other brands? =] I'd really like to hear your opinions and such.

Thanks a lot! :D

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey xKatex,

I own a Boss GT-8. Having been a former Digitech RP100a and a V-amp owner I highly recommend, if you can afford it, the GT-8.

The sheer versatility alone makes it worth the $$ even without the excellent amp modeling.

Here's a great article that compares the major, top MFx units.

http://www.thestompbox.net/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=21

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@xkatex)
Topic starter  

Ahhh, I was actually looking at that one, too! Does look/sound nice.. But, ack, over 200 quid! :shock: Dannngg. Looks like I have to save up yet again. =[ The ME-50 was only 100 odd and I thought; "Oh, only 30 quid to go!" - But now it's another 'undred, lol. XD Ahh, well..

Haha, yeah, I'm also "converting" from digitech. :lol: And thank you for the article and your help in general! :) Appreciated. =]

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I did fail to mention anything about the V-Amp.
I recommend them as well. I loved mine, especially with headphones. I rid myself of it only because I did some trading of gear to aquire an American Strat. If it weren't for that I would still have and use it.

The thing I like the most about it is say early in the morning I could take it on the couch, the bed, the kitchen, anywhere really in the house with headphone. Sit down and kick some butt without disturbing anyone.

Its more of a modeller, but there are some great effects and Beheringer makes quality products at inexpensive prices.

I don't know what your experience is with these kind of units, but one thing for sure, when you plug these into an amp.. Make sure your amp is as neutral or flat and as Clean as you can make it... (ie all your amps tone settings are at 12 o'clock or in the middle).

Alot of the guys use Full Range speakers like a keyboard amp or even just PA or Powered type speakers.

Anyhoo good luck in your shopping around :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I have the Korg AX10G, which has 11 amp models, 11 modulations including phase, choruse, and Leslie speaker, and 11 levels of ambience including loads of reverbs and up to 3 echoes. It has a wah pedal on board, too.

I also have a few Zoom multiFX boxes, the 510 has a superb reverse delay and they're good in lots of other ways, but for a very good all-round package I'd keep with the Korg.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@xkatex)
Topic starter  

I have the Korg AX10G, which has 11 amp models, 11 modulations including phase, choruse, and Leslie speaker, and 11 levels of ambience including loads of reverbs and up to 3 echoes. It has a wah pedal on board, too.

I also have a few Zoom multiFX boxes, the 510 has a superb reverse delay and they're good in lots of other ways, but for a very good all-round package I'd keep with the Korg.

Best,

Ahhh, now that seems like a good catch, too! :lol: And it a hell of a lot cheaper.. Gah, look what you people do to me!! :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

well im going to get yelled at here......

i hate multi effects, i hate that i am limited on my effects.. i hate that you can only store so many per bank... so i can have three effects on bank one.......well lets say mid song i want effect #2 and i'm on 3 i have to cycle through them.... i love stomp boxes instantly have what i want

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@xkatex)
Topic starter  

well im going to get yelled at here......

i hate multi effects, i hate that i am limited on my effects.. i hate that you can only store so many per bank... so i can have three effects on bank one.......well lets say mid song i want effect #2 and i'm on 3 i have to cycle through them.... i love stomp boxes instantly have what i want

Yelled at? Nahhh - it's personal preference! :) Each to their own.

But as a person who likes multi effects and is asking for recommendations, maybe this wasn't the right place to post?.. :wink:

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

If I were to look at getting a new multi-fx box right now, I would probably look seriously at the Zoom G2 and G2.1u. Since we are talking digital, a newer generation in general should do better ....

(I am not looking, and hence have not tried any of them. IMHO, one big deal with any of them is the user interface: and it often tends to be a very subjective opinion.)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I've got the G2.1u - I love it. The user interface is great, but like Vink says, that's subjective (I'm a programmer, so having 2 digits for every effect that I have to look up in a manual that I carry around is quite natural to me :mrgreen: I can see how other people might be annoyed it wasn't just a plain ol' LCD display though). The next model up (G7.something) has an LCD display, and a tube for the distortions, and the next up from that (G9.something) has two tubes :shock:

Plenty of demo sounds and all the manuals for the G range on the zoom website (here), I have to admit you can really hear the difference the tubes make in the 7 and the 9.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Ahhh, now that seems like a good catch, too! :lol: And it a hell of a lot cheaper.. Gah, look what you people do to me!! :shock:
That's the nice thing about this place - everybody's got an idea about something; it's just that if you followed them all you'd be skint in a week.

Best,

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@scottish-nutter)
Trusted Member

iv got the boss me-50 pedal and it seems to be good, best thing to do is go to a good local music shop and try one and see what you think, i thought about the gt 8 but with my lack of guitar talent i thought it would be a waste :)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i also have and recommend the korg ax10g :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

I haven't tried the G2 yet, but I love my Zoom GFX-1. Really top build quality (heavy steel casing, professional grade knobs, footswitches and ins/outs) nice easy interface, good range of amp and drive models, and effects, but above all a smooth, natural, responsive sound that really reacts to picking nuances and so on. You can set it on the edge of overdrive, and go from clean to dirty just on pick attack.

Now that the G2 series is on the market, you can pick up GFX-1's for silly money, well under £100 in the UK.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Now that the G2 series is on the market, you can pick up GFX-1's for silly money, well under £100 in the UK.
The basic G2 is £60, the G2.1u with the exression pedal, drums, USB etc is about £90. :D

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2