Clear all

Need Some Suggestions.....

25 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Okay folks my dream amp for gigging is a Hot Rod Deluxe, 60watt 4x10. Right now that is out of my reach due to a job/pay/ change which forced a lifestyle change.

So what I need from you folks and your great knowledge base is:
Some suggestions on affordable amps in the $150-$450 range. Preferably all tube.

I've found one so far that I may like if I can find a place that has one nearby to try it out.

Vox Amp

I figure 15-30 watts should be plenty for now. Especially, miked into a PA. It doesn't have to be a "name" brand either.

It should be able to handle classic rock and blues though.

Thanks in advance.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There are amps that would work. To name a few Ampeg, Crate V1512 , Peavey make some great sounding amps.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

There are amps that would work. To name a few Ampeg, Crate V1512 , Peavey make some great sounding amps.

Joe

Thanks Joe that at least gives me a place to start.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I have the VOX AD30VT that you mention, and it's a great amp. It has some very nice sounds, and a good set of effects. Right off the bat, you get to try all kinds of different amp sounds with the presets, and you can customize two channels to your liking and save them. The effects are also very good. I got a use Zoom multi effects pedal, but I felt that the effects on the amp were much better. It is quite loud at full power, I usually leave it at half power for playing at home.

They charge extra for the footswitch, but I would plan on getting the footswitch. With the footswith you can switch channels and switch the effects on and off, and that makes the amp a lot more versatible. That will put the total price at about $270, I think.

I play a Roland Cube 30 when I go for lessons, and it sounds very nice too. But I have not really played with it much, just plug in and play with the settings that are set by my teacher.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the VOX.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the VOX.

Well you answered the one about the footswitch availability.

I think most of my wondering about the Vox is would it be enough for gigs miked through a PA. Are there any cheaper footswitches that would work with it?

I guess the rest wil be answered by getting my ahnds on one and givig it a test drive.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Joe

Joe's correct. I have a Peavey Classic 50 410. That's pretty similar to the HRD you describe. Used, the Peavey Classics can be a bargain, and they are very Fender-like. OTOH, I play my Blues Junior a lot more than my Peavey. Hot tone at a lower volume level, easier to haul around and plenty loud enough to club gig with a drummer. If I were forced into choosing one amp, I'd sell the Classic 50 and the BJ and replace 'em with a Peavey Classic 30.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

IMHO you can't go wrong with a Behringer GMX212, it's about $259.00 and is gig worthy. A great value for the buck. Iv'e had this for over a year and its been great--the dog

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/480731/

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I think most of my wondering about the Vox is would it be enough for gigs miked through a PA.

Are there any cheaper footswitches that would work with it?

Thanks

It's pretty loud at full power. I think it would be fine for small gigs without a mike and bigger ones with a mike, but I don' have direct experience doing either. Arjen has the same amp, I think .. maybe he can comment.

No cheaper footswitches, you have to shell out $30 and get the VOX footswitch.

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I went to a concert, last year, and the guitarist had his amp miked through the PA - it was a 10Watt Vox Pathfinder!

If you're going to put it through the PA, you don't want power, you want tone - the PA will supply the power.

You could try the Peavey Classic 30. Although I haven't heard one live, Epiphone had two series of tube amps - Galaxie and Electar - both of which, I believe had 30W and 50W variants. They're no longer produced, so you could probably get a good used one off Ebay for a reasonable price.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Although I haven't heard one live, Epiphone had two series of tube amps - Galaxie and Electar - both of which, I believe had 30W and 50W variants.

I bought a Galaxy 10 recently from MF closeout. See this thread for details.

If I had only one amp, I would chose the VOX, I think. The Galaxy 10 is a neat little amp, but the VOX is so flexible.

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

TWISTY...CHECK THIS ONE OUT... QUICKLY>

This one just came up on CraigsList.
Tweed Fender Blues Deluxe $250. :shock:

Here's the link: http://portland.craigslist.org/msg/107061012.html

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@sarton)
Estimable Member

I've been happy with my amp so far: a Seymour-Duncan 84-50. It features all-tube (50W, 3 12ax7, 4 el84), two channels, reverb, and effects loop. Got mine (used, of course) for less than $300. That includes having had to replace the reverb tank.

A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Godin Freeway Classic, PodXT Live, Seymour-Duncan 84-50.
(All this so I could learn 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little' Star for my youngest.)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I still use on a few venue's my old Gibson Falcon's. Their only are 12 watts and use an attenuator on them, add a couple Shure M57's and they'll have you wondering. For the record when I use them, I'm also using a 100 watt tube power amp into a dummyload as a pre-amp, equalizer, tube effects processor, equalizer, Gibson amp, attenuator, 1x12 speaker. It's more than enough tone and volume.

It's a basic set up. Easy to setup and take down.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

He took it down! :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

He took it down! :cry:

Awwww Shucks... :roll:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2