Clear all

New amp suggestions?

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I`ll have to get a new amp because I won`t have my other one for a few months (I moved to a different country and it will get shipped later). I have quite a low budget (can`t be higher than about 120-130 bucks) but I`d like something relatively good with choice of distortion and stuff. I know I won`t be getting a super amp with that kind of money but do you guys have any suggestions from experience?

What about small, portable battery amps? Those are probably cheaper. Someone suggested that once but I was wondering if they`re actually worth it? I don`t want to have to be recharging every half hour or so.

Anyone?

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Hit a pawn shop for $120 you'll do pretty good.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Assuming you already have some good heaphones. How bout a V-Amp ??

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hit a pawn shop for $120 you'll do pretty good.

That`s an idea! Yea, I`ll definitely check it out.

Why didn`t I think of that? :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I`m actually not sure what a V-Amp is. However, I searched it on yahoo and it appears to be a `preamp`?? What`s that?

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

check out the roland micro cube, its about 120 bucks and is an awsome little amp 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I`m actually not sure what a V-Amp is. However, I searched it on yahoo and it appears to be a `preamp`?? What`s that?

Puke,

A V-Amp and it's 'kin' is an extremely versatile preamp, AMP Modeler - "Multi Efx" unit. The V-amp is the best of its kind in its price range. (75-100 US).

What I mean by versatile is that your not limited to just sounding like a "Marshall or Fender or Vox or ......." You can sound like all of them and more. Also you don't need to disturb the rest of the house or neighborhood either. You can plug in headphones, or your computer speakers or your stereo speakers or a PA system or a pair of high quality powered studio monitors or......

The Pre-amp is just that. Most Amps as we know them are COMBO amps, meaning they have both the Preamp (where most of the tone/sound coloration is generated) and the Power Amp/Speaker Cabinet (speaker(s) driver) combined into one unit.

I didn't see where you were from, but if your close to a few music stores, at least one of them should have it. I encourage you to check them out. They're awesome little sound machines. A number of us here either have had or frequently use these, (or their kin) quite frequently. Also there has been some discussion in the threads about the VAmp.

D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@tucker97325)
Trusted Member

I think Dagwood has put you on the right track. Why waste money buying a "Temporary" amp if you don't really need one. The Multi-effects preamp work great for practice and recording. The big plus is that you get all the effects and amp simulators, which you can later run through your other amp.

The down side is, it won't help you if you're trying to play to a live audience. For that you would need some sort of power amp.

It ain't what you play man, its how you play it.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=401901

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I thought a "combo" meant it had the amp and speaker all in one?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@tucker97325)
Trusted Member

I thought a "combo" meant it had the amp and speaker all in one?Yes, that's correct. What Dagwood said was;
The Pre-amp is just that. Most Amps as we know them are COMBO amps, meaning they have both the Preamp (where most of the tone/sound coloration is generated) and the Power Amp/Speaker Cabinet (speaker(s) driver) combined into one unit.

It ain't what you play man, its how you play it.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=401901

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

check out the roland micro cube, its about 120 bucks and is an awsome little amp 8)

Yea, I`ll already be checking that one out! A friend of mine suggested it too, just today! :D

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Puke,

A V-Amp and it's 'kin' is an extremely versatile preamp, AMP Modeler - "Multi Efx" unit. The V-amp is the best of its kind in its price range. (75-100 US).

What I mean by versatile is that your not limited to just sounding like a "Marshall or Fender or Vox or ......." You can sound like all of them and more. Also you don't need to disturb the rest of the house or neighborhood either. You can plug in headphones, or your computer speakers or your stereo speakers or a PA system or a pair of high quality powered studio monitors or......

I didn't see where you were from, but if your close to a few music stores, at least one of them should have it. I encourage you to check them out. They're awesome little sound machines. A number of us here either have had or frequently use these, (or their kin) quite frequently. Also there has been some discussion in the threads about the VAmp.

D-

Thanks for all the info. :) I`ll see what I can do!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The Micro Cube really is a nice little amp.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just to let you guys know---I went for the Roland MICRO-cube. Tried it out a little, very very cool, thanks for suggesting it. :D

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member

For my money I would go with a Line 6 POD xt. You won't be disappointed.

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2