Skip to content
Making a 5 peice ba...

Notifications
Clear all

Making a 5 peice band out of 2 people. Possible?

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Currently am working on a project where myself and one other guy, a guitarist, will be performing about a one hour set. I would like to use my laptop or whatever to control a drum machine he has, as well as, use it for keyboard sounds. Is it possible? What kind of equipment would I need?

Concerns:
#1 - I could use a backing track for the other instruments but I don't like the idea of being tied to the BT while performing live. Is there any type of foot module that I could use to stop or start it?

#2 - Is it possible to make "keyboard or syth music" via my laptop rather than having to purchase an actual keyboard?

My thought was that I would play rhythm, he would play lead, maybe even loop parts of the rhythm, have the drum machine controlled by the laptop for a decent drum section, and use the laptop for any ambient/syth/piano/keyboard parts.

Am I off my rocker?

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

So, you're opposed to picking up a couple of additional band members?

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So, you're opposed to picking up a couple of additional band members?

Yeah, it might seem silly but I am opposed for now. Obviously, I realize that i cant make two sound like five as well as a full band would sound. Heck, might not even go with the ideal at all but I have seen a few bands that did something similar and it worked well. I saw a two man band once in Oklahoma City that kind of did this, he used some sort of foot trigger but I cant find information about doing such a thing.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

In general, backing tracks work only with certain types of live audiences.

If you're playing for a dinner party, for example, where you are not the focus, a BT works just fine.

But for a bar gig where everyone is there to see the band, BT's just seem to fall flat. Those types of gigs are really very much about the audience-musician interaction.

My advice to most anyone is to play with what you have. If you've got two guitarists, then write / arrange for two guitars.

You can use octave and loop pedals to really fill out your sound. Drums are nice, but you can do a lot without them.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

I used to work at a bar that had a lot of blues and rock bands come in. We had a band that came in which consisted of two guitars and a keyboard. They ran drum tracks through the keyboard. They sounded fine musically and actually seemed quite proud that they were able to pull it off without a drummer. The drum machine really took away from the "live performance" aspect and they didn't really go over very well with the audience. They were not asked to return. I agree with Kingpatzer, arrange your music to fit what you have. God luck with whatever you decide, but I personally would try to add at least a drummer.

Sorry, I guess neither one of us actually answered your question. Good luck!

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

You can use octave and loop pedals to really fill out your sound.

Ohh.. awomme advice on the octave pedal.. didnt think abou tthat one.

Thanks KP

Jim

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Jonesey... Actually ya'll did answer it pretty darn well. I dont have a preference on doing what I was proposing or not.. just wanted to know what others have seen in this area.
but I personally would try to add at least a drummer.

Actually my target audience are small intimate groups of 25 - 50 people and because of that I would rather go without a drummer. The only reason I mentioned a drum machine was for a quiet subtle beat.. but given the option I would rather go without any drums than having a drummer for this type of gig. Its really going to be a pretty small setting most of the time.

Thanks again, I appreciate it very much.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Ah, I get what you're looking for. I thought you meant for larger performances.

ReplyQuote