Notifications
Clear all

Ohms 16, 4,or stereo 8 Ohm my god what to do

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@halfpast2guitar)
Topic starter  

I just finally saved up and bought a half stack that I've wanted forever. I have a Mesa Dual Rect (an older 2 channel version) and a Marshall 1960 JCM900 cab.. however i am almost embarresed to ask this but.. what is the best Ohm rating to use.. currently i am using the 16 ohm out on the mesa into the 16 ohm in on the cab... does it make a difference if it is in the 4 ohms? should i run it stereo and use the 2 8 ohm outputs. i just dont know, ive been playing for years and i dont know something so simple about stacks.. Embarassed but hopefully some one can help

thanks
tyler casket

http://www.myspace.com/thecasketsnj

also.. my mesa does not have reverb.. what reverb pedal would anyone suggest... ive always had amps with reverb so this is a very new issue for me..

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

halfpast2guitar

First, I see you are fairly new, so welcome to GuitarNoise.

Your Marshall 1960 cab (very nice) is not a stereo cab if it is older. So you cannot use it that way. You are already doing the correct thing. If it is a 16 ohm cab, then switch your amp to the 16 ohm setting.

The new Marshall 1960 is switchable 4 ohm or 16 ohm. It is also switchable mono or stereo application.

In mono it will operate at either 4 or 16 ohms. If you go mono, use the 4 ohm setting on the cab and amp. You will get more power from the amp this way.

In stereo you have no choice, the cab is 8 ohms each side.

Your amp does not have stereo capabilities does it? If it is older it probably doesn't, but I am not familiar with this amp.

So, if you have the older 1960 cab, use the 16 ohm setting on your amp. If you have the new cab, use the 4 ohm setting.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@halfpast2guitar)
Topic starter  

its a newer one..stereo @ 8 ohms.. or 4 or 16.. so should i use 4?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

halfpast2guitar

Unless your amp has stereo capabilities, I would put the cab in mono mode at 4 ohms and set the switch on the amp at 4 ohms. This will get you the maximum output from your amp.

That is a nice cab and I really like the new features. Bet that Mesa amp sounds awesome with it.

If you ever pick up a stereo amp you can use this cab with it. Nice.

Congrats. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote