Clear all

OK, I now have a Hot Rod

17 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for an early birthday present.

Man this is a sweet little puppy!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

Happy Birthday :) - may you enjoy many years with your new Hot Rod.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Congratulations, have fun experimenting with it. If you haven't had an all tube amp before I would read up on the care and maintenance. Taken care of it will last you a life time.

Couple things to save up for to add to your arsenal would be an Eq pedal and attenuator. That would allow you more control of your tone at any volume.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

Tell us how it sounds, I'm thinking about getting one. Enjoy your birthday gift!!!

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Congratulations, have fun experimenting with it. If you haven't had an all tube amp before I would read up on the care and maintenance. Taken care of it will last you a life time.

Couple things to save up for to add to your arsenal would be an Eq pedal and attenuator. That would allow you more control of your tone at any volume.

Joe

Actually this is my second tube amp. I've had a Peavey Duel 212 for about 10 years now. But I'm getting older and it's getting to be a real pain in the back to haul that 80 pound behemoth to a gig. I've got a Vox Pathfinder, and it's really good for jazz and show band gigs ( as well as being light), but I miss the tube feel when I'm using it.

I originally went looking for a Class A 15 watt, but I'll always plug into everything in my price range when I'm looking. Once I plugged into the Deluxe, I was infatuated and it was time to dicker.

To make a long story short, they had the price marked at $599, which after sales tax was added would make the "out the door" price about $630. I was able to get it out the door for $80 less. Goes to show ya, even Guitar Center values a regular customer :D

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Tell us how it sounds, I'm thinking about getting one. Enjoy your birthday gift!!!

I'm still dialing it in, but right now it's sounding ideal for the blues and classic rock mix the band does. I'll be taking it to practice tomorrow, which should give me a chance to tweak a bit and break the speaker in. I'll post more details Sunday or Monday.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Cool stuff, have fun with it and happy birthday!

ReplyQuote
(@gjbrake)
Reputable Member

WOO!

Warning: The Hot Rod Deluxe is slowly taking over the world...

Happy Early Birthday!

G

Listen Louder Than You Play

ReplyQuote
(@hotrod-deluxe09)
Trusted Member

i have one and i love it, hints the name(haha). You will find it very loud but it sounds sooooooo good ENJOY

MY GUITAR STUFF
a Fender Mexican strat w/ two single coil Semour Duncan pickups i have a fender hot rod deluxe all tube 40 W Effects: Zoom w/pedal, V-amp, Turbo Rat, Rocktron Banshee (talbox)(i mic it and the mic comes out of a gx-15 crate amp)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congratulations!

Yes, the HRD IS taking over the world. According to Fender, it is the #1 selling tube amp of all time. Is this because it is the greatest amp ever??

NO.

But it is a VERY GOOD amp for a great price. It has the power and tone to play just about anywhere.

You are right. The HRD is a great blues amp. But it is very pedal friendly. It has a great clean channel. With a good pedal you can play Metal easy.

Here's a tip. Use the 2nd instrument input instead of the 1st. You will find the Volume control much less sensitive. The 1st input goes from quiet at 1/2 to super loud at 2. With the 2nd input you can get it up to 3 or 4 before it gets super loud.

Have fun!! 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Here's a tip. Use the 2nd instrument input instead of the 1st. You will find the Volume control much less sensitive. The 1st input goes from quiet at 1/2 to super loud at 2. With the 2nd input you can get it up to 3 or 4 before it gets super loud.

Had no idea about this! Thanks Wes, gonna give it a shot.

Congrats on the new amp.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Guess I ought to post a follow-up :oops:

Ok - here goes:

1) Did you say this amp was loud? It's more like LOUD. The second input is a bit more managable, but it's a good thing I've got a volume pedal.

2) I looooooove the clean channel on this puppy! Works really well with all my guitars, but reacts to them differently. The strat and the Ibanez like the volume about 4, with Ibanez overdriving the preamp stage to a juicy crunch when you dig in with the pick. The Paul with it's hot p-90's pushes it into OD anytime you thump the strings hard - no matter what the volume.

more later - got company

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Taso

Yeah, try the 2nd input. It's still amazingly loud, but not so quickly. You can get it up to 3 or 4 at home and 6 or 7 at a gig.

Moonrider

Try this. Run the Volume Pedal only through the effects loop. Then you can crank Volume and Master up to 6-8. You will then get tube saturation at lower volumes. Some say this is no different from just turning your guitar's volume down, but I disagree. With this method you are getting the full signal from your pickups. When you turn your guitar down you are not.
Try it for yourself and tell us what you think. Just go out of the PreAmp Out into the Volume Pedal, and then out of the pedal into PowerAmp In.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I brought my HRD to my friend's house. He said, "that has 1 12 in it? I have 2 10's in mine, mine will blow yours away". He has the Princeton Chorus.

We start to jam.

He set his to 4,…. HAHA!.... then 8….. HAHAHAHA! He said, “Turn yours down” I said, “Mines only at 4!!! :oops: ”. He said, “What's the name of that again”. I said, “They call it the HotRod”. :D

He never had a chance.

Wes,

What's the toll now? I think at least 7 or 8 of us have it now.

Moonrider,

Congrats!!! I completely understand what you are saying about the differences in what guitar you use. I can use one setting for my Strat and have it bluesy clean with a little break up, then hook up my 82' Epi Spirit with the same settings and get down to the bone with metal and/or …….. Some nasty as- blues screamin' solos.

I'll never regret the day I bought mine. I wish I could say the same for my friend! :P

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Tracker,

Oh yeah. The HRD can hang with ANY amp. No problem.

I forgot to add that I recently purchased a 2 X 12 extension cab from Avatar Speakers. I got the G212H Special with 2 Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. I also got it with the Fender silver grille, so it is a perfect match to my HRD. It is about 4 inches wider on each side, but it makes a very attractive stack. Only had it a few weeks but it sounds great to me. The Vintage 30's have very tight bass. It is very full sounding.

With this new cab the amp does not seem so Volume sensitive now. But it is still LOUD.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2