Opinions on Marshall half stack price

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@boogie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey folks,

Need your keen insight. I've got an opportunity to buy the following from a friend at work. Probably more power than me or my son need, but seems like a deal too good to pass up. I'd like your opinions.

Marshall G100RCD 100 Watt head
Marshall Model VS412 cabinet

$300 and it looks new.

Should I buy?

--Scott

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

No. It looks cool but doesn't sound cool. It's really as much a marshall as fiat is a ferrari. The only reason why you might want it is if you play in a band with multiple berserking drummers and you desperately need the volume. If you don't, don't bother, spend your money on a smaller and better sounding amp.

On a sidenote, the cab could be fun. Try and see if you can buy that off him without the head.

All IMHO ofcourse.

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Arjen. I'll consider the cab-only option. We have plenty of time to think about this.

I should note that my son likes the sound of this amp. I'm not partial to it myself.

Personally I much prefer my Mesa Boogie Studio .22. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Wow, you've got a .22 and your son still thinks about that marshall?! That changes it all: get that marshall ASAP so you can have that vastly superior MB all for yourself! :D Seriously, those two amps don't even remotely compare, I can't even begin to explain how much I agree that the .22 is much better. But hey, people have different taste and if he likes that marshall then I guess he likes that marshall. Let us know what you decide to do.

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah... he does like the Marshall. He says he likes the tone. Of course, he's only 11 so he has not gotten to listen to a lot of different amps. My buddy has offered to loan it to us for a while so maybe doing some A/B comparisons will help sway him back to the Mesa camp. :D

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i would get it, 300 for a marshall half stack is unheard of, if you decide not to buy it let me know i will 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Rocker: if you search the net you'll find thousands of insane deals. Getting them for the sake of selling them with a profit could be interesting but otherwise you might end up with a whole lot of Real Bargains that don't really add anything at all to your setup. And that's unfortunately from personal experience. Never buy anything because it's cheap, only buy because you wanted that specific amp. Just a suggestion. :)

ReplyQuote