Orange Amps

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 jane
(@jane)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm thinking about buying a 10W Orange amp as a practice amp. I have a PRS Santana SE guitar. It's about $100. Does anyone know anything about these amps. They're recommended at the storethat I shop in. I know nothing about amps. This is my first electric guitar and I've been playing acoustic for less than a year.

formerly "new writer" until someone said they didn't like my name

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Don't know anything about Orange amps, it looks like a British firm from their website.  Looks like the company's been around long enough to make a decent amp.

I would suggest taking a friend or a family member to the store and trying out a variety of 10-15 watt amps with your guitar. Preferably over a couple of days. Let your ears decide.

http://www.orange-amps.com/

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member

Orange are one of the really highly respected brittish amps, with a very brittish tone.
However, I don't recomend that you get that one, Orange are well known for big amps and Cabs, not little practice amps. It's likely that its not actually worth $100, I found out that Orange didn't make it, they commisioned a factory in Korea to make these, and then put their badge on it.
Try looking at the Marshall MG series, marshall make a good range of practice amps, and the MG's are fairly well equiped for their price. Take a look at http://www.marshallamps.com/images/products/mg/mg15cdr.html My friend uses one of these and they sound pretty good. That should be under $100. And for a bit more you can get the same one with Digital effects.
One practice amp that is highly regarded is the Roland Cube 15. That should be within your budget, and they are verygood amps.   http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=7&subcatid=32&prodid=Cube+15
Alternatively, Behringer make good practice amps for reasonable prices, they sound fairly good too. Sorry, I can't find a link for them.

Shop around, go to other music shops and see what you can get. Primeta is right, take someone with you, preferably someone who has some experience with amps and guitars.

I hope this helps, I seem to have written quite a lot here....

Petrix

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

ReplyQuote
 jane
(@jane)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i bought a Marshall 10CD for $75.00. It's alright for now.

formerly "new writer" until someone said they didn't like my name

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

8) Hard to go wrong with a Marshall.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote