Peavey Classic 30

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

G'day Guys,
Has anyone had a Peavey Classic 30 before?
I have a chance to buy a 2nd hand one and I am going to look at it tonight and I would like some info before I go.
Harmony Central has very good reviews but I would like to hear from guys I know and respect :D
Thanks
Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

(@robbie)
Honorable Member

A little bit of info here:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=35495

Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have never owned a Classic 30, but I have heard them many times and they are great amps. They often get compared to the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (which I own). Most say the HRD has a slightly better clean channel but the Classic 30 has a much better overdrive channel.

If you get a chance to pick one up, get it. It is one of the most popular amps ever, used by thousands of gigging guitarists expecially.

The only real negative I've ever heard about the Classic 30 is that the back is open and the tubes are exposed. You can find a metal grille on EBay designed especially for the Classic 30 to cover the tubes. Here is a backside photo of a Classic 30 showing the exposed tubes.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

I have a Classic 30 - Love it :D

Just right size for home and small gigs :!:

B.S.

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just spoke to the bloke that owns it on the phone, he is a gigging muso and uses this for home and small gigs.
He has had it for 3 years recently changed the tubes but has the old ones he will give me too and will throw in a foot switch..
Also had a fan put in the side to keep tubes cool..
Going to look at it tonight see how she plays.
Thanks to everyone here I am pretty much sold LOL
Thanks
Keith

copy of the ad
" 1x Peavey classic 30 combo, 2 channel / reverb, 12 “ speaker
modded [ pro job] with fan [see pics] , extends valve life and stops dry solder joints on circuit board from heat [ without the fan they get really hot, peavey should have put a fan in from factory like the classic50, cheap bastards, he, he, he]
has marks from normal use, good working condition"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I just bought one new a month or two ago. I love it. Not a complaint with it. If you got a shot to get a good deal o a used one do it. They don't give the new ones away! It was a little pricey but worth it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Got it....I am in tone heaven :)

Wes,
When the guy was sampling it to me (awesome what a pro can do lol), he said I'll let you in on a secret. If you want a good pedal get a Tube Screamer but if you want a better pedal get a Behringer TO800 and he showed me his pedal board and sure enough there was one on there. Wes, I thought of you straight away lol.

Thanks for the help again everybody.
Keith

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

Got it....I am in tone heaven :)

Wes,
When the guy was sampling it to me (awesome what a pro can do lol), he said I'll let you in on a secret. If you want a good pedal get a Tube Screamer but if you want a better pedal get a Behringer TO800 and he showed me his pedal board and sure enough there was one on there. Wes, I thought of you straight away lol.

Thanks for the help again everybody.
Keith
I'll tell you about another OD pedal that's a real sleeper, IMO, and that's the Rocktron Austin Gold. I love this pedal. It's much smoother than a Tube Screamer. It sounds better to me than a majority of the boutique OD pedals out there, and it's only $69.95 at Musicians' Friend. It acts like a valve preamp, in that you can drive the front-end of the pedal and get increasingly more distortion and sustain. I run a MXR Dyna-Comp in front of it, and it's magic, especially into a tube amp.

Just for informational purposes, here's my pedalboard layout:

Boss TU-12H tuner

Classic CryBaby with the gear set ahead one notch. Makes the sweep much more usable.

MXR Dyna-Comp

Rocktron Austin Gold overdrive

Rocktron Short-Timer delay. (Another great pedal from Rocktron!)

MXR Graphic EQ

Rocktron Tsunami Chorus (Really an excellent pedal, and the ambient delay I leave on all the time..really fattens the sound.)

I run the stereo outputs from the Tsunami to a Seymour Duncan 84-40 40 watt 1-12 combo and to a modified (by me) Stromberg-Carlson Signet 22 (model SAU-22) powering a 2-12 open-back cabinet.

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok I hate to rave on :)
But this thing is awesome.....(BTW I have never EVER played a tube amp before)
With my AD30VT and my old Marshal MG15DFX I hardly ever used the middle or neck pick ups but this Peavey amp just brings every pickup on my (Mexican) Fender Strat come alive is sounds totally awesome...
I can't wait for the missus to go out so I can turn this thing up :lol:

I just remembered I have my Squier 51 stashed away in the cupboard, oh and I'll have to break out the Behringer Vamp2 too.
Looks like Cathy and I won't be having any "quality" time this weekend :!:

The only thing with it is when I turn the reverb up past 3 it gets a loud hum? But I don't use it much yet..

Cheers
Keith

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I told you they were great sounding amps! :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote