Clear all

Peavey valvestate amp

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@decieved)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

does anyone know if peavey valvestate amps are good? im thinking about getting a 100 W one.

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You mean Peavey 'Transtube?' Marshall calls their version 'Valvestate.' I have a friend who uses one of the older Peavey's onstage and likes them.

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I can't speak for guitar amps, but the Mrs just got a Peavy transtube bass amp, and she loves it.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@decieved)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

whoops, sorry. i meant to say Peavey ValveKing. ya, so does anyone know if theyre good?

ReplyQuote
(@decieved)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

another question. is it more worth it to buy a combo amp a half stack?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I've never personally heard the Peavey ValveKing amp, but I've read lots of reviews on it and the vast majority are very good. I have owned several Peavey amps in the past and they were good amps. Peavey is known for good quality.

As for a combo or half stack, how do you plan on using the amp? If you just play at home, or occasionally take the amp to a friend's house for a jam, then the combo is the better choice.

If you play in a band where you need big volume and appearance is important too, then go with the half stack.

Everybody wants a stack because they look cool. You look just like your guitar hero. But they are a pain to haul around. It is not easy to cram a 4 X 12 speaker cab in the back of a small car. And they are heavy too. You will be far more reluctant to head over to a friend's house or out to an Open Mic with a stack. Trust me, it is a lot of work and gets old REAL quick.

A combo like a 1 X 12 will play almost anywhere. If you play a big venue they will have sound and mic the amp anyway. They don't look as cool, but they are far easier to haul around. You will have more fun with a portable amp and likely play far more often.

Plus, lots of pros use combo amps. Stacks look great till you try to pick them up. :roll:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 GY01
(@gy01)
Eminent Member

I have a Peavey Classic 30 that I love. I bought it used. I looked at the Valveking 112 when I purchased the Classic 30. I thought the Valveking sounded good. I also thought that the Classic 30 actually played louder though it had less wattage. I think the Classic 30 uses a more efficient speaker.

Most people do not realize how loudly a 30 watt tube amp combo can be. My Classic 30 plays very loudly for such a small package.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

As for a combo or half stack, how do you plan on using the amp? If you just play at home, or occasionally take the amp to a friend's house or a jam, then the combo is the better choice.
Stacks look great till you try to pick them up. :roll:
I've heard some opinions that if you are looking at bigger combos (2x12), then a better option is to have a head and a 2x12 cab. This seems to make some sense to me, because 2x12 combos sound real heavy from reading the specs. So, a 2x12 cab + head gives you the same number of speakers, but you can move two pieces instead of one, and the cab can be handled more easily, by putting wheels etc. Several people who are into carvin amps on the carvin forum seem to go for this type of setup.

Anyway, I only have small combos (one 1x8 and two 1x10s) since I just play at home, so this is just an academic topic for me :-)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@soundsgood)
Trusted Member

i just recently switched to a head and 2 12' cabinet from a 1 12' combo fender 60w i like my new set up better and shouldn't be bad moving it around,more to the topic i like peavy amps they are under rated

gibsonSG standard/gallagher"doc watson" acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Vink and SoundsGood on the 2 X 12s. 2 X 12 combos can be very heavy. One of the Peavey amps I owned (can't remember the model, it was back in the 80s) weighed about 85 lbs. Man, I used to think I was gonna dislocate my shoulder hauling that thing around. So yes, for a 2 X 12 it is better to have a head and a cab, much lighter and more portable.

But 4 X 12s are just plain heavy and bulky too. Look great on stage and sound awesome too, but what a pain to haul around.

GY01, yes the Classic 30 is a great sounding amp. One of the best gigging amps ever.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@decieved)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i was thinking about getting the valveking 212 combo

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp?sku=481443

but judging by what you guys said about 2x12's being heavy, i think i might go for the half stack. but is it really worth it to pay an extra $300-400 for a half stack?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I didn't mean to discourage you away from this amp. I read the reviews and they are very good. It does weigh 68 lbs. which is plenty heavy, but if you are not moving it around a lot that is fine. And this will fit in a car far easier than a cab.

I just wanted you to consider weight. If you will be hauling this amp around often, then weight is important.

ReplyQuote