Clear all

Pedalboard Problem

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@lauramakesmusic)
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I thought I'd take the chance.

I've recently set up a homemade pedalboard out of scrap wood, velcro and a rad jackson polluck paint job (hollah at the abstract expressionist fans out there!). But for some reason I'm having an issue with my digitech synth wah pedal.

First off, let me give you my setup: I have a cheapo Jay Turser Les Paul style guitar and a Fender FM 212 DSP amp (shhh, this girl's gotta be on a budget!). I'm not using the effects loop, just going from guitar to effects to amp input. My pedals are in this order:

Boss Tuner--->Morley Wah--->Digitech Synth wah--->Boss Sd-1 super overdrive--->Danelectro Coolcat chorus--->Boss DD6 digital delay--->Line 6 Verbzilla Reverb--->AMP.

I've checked all the patch cables, and they're working perfectly. Everything is either connected to it's AC adapter or has fresh batteries. And everything worked perfectly, UNTIL Mr. Digitech gotta-ruin-the-party Synth Wah came into the picture.

It worked perfectly before I set up the pedalboard, but now for some reason when I press the pedal to bypass it, everything now goes silent. I press to engage the synth wah, and sound magically comes out perfectly as if nothing's wrong. Which is fine if you plan on playing with your synth wah permanently on, like if you're in some wannabe Daft Punk band or something. But I need m'clean tones, sir! So at this point the pedal completely ruins the chain, and I'm not sure why.

Any ideas? What could possibly be going on with my poor-girl-jackson-polluck-style-on-a-budget pedalboard?

Thanks so much for your input,

~Laura~

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

It worked perfectly before I set up the pedalboard, but now for some reason when I press the pedal to bypass it, everything now goes silent. I

Sounds like you are using the "effect out" jack on the pedal instead of the "dry out." The effect output will mute your signal when the pedal is in bypass mode, if that's the only jack you're using.

You want to use the "dry" output jack when running a mono amp setup; despite the name, it will send a "wet" signal when the pedal is on, and a normal dry signal when off.

Now, it could be something else; my Digitech Bad Monkey was intermittently cutting out; turns out there was a blob of solder on the rear of the PCB touching the metal housing and apparently grounding the signal. Digitech doesn't use a plastic insert to prevent this sort of stuff, like Boss does. I nipped the blob and it has been perfect since then.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@lauramakesmusic)
Topic starter  

I'm using the dry out since I am running mono...I tried it both ways thinking that was my issue. But it's still cutting out. I'll check for spider blobs, though...you never know. :D

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Do you have a second amp that you can test it with? I mean by running both outputs from the pedal to separate amps at the same time, and seeing if it behaves properly with that arrangement.

By the way, you've got some cool songs on your myspace page. 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@lauramakesmusic)
Topic starter  

I used some compressed air to clean the inside (didn't see any solder issues), and now the thing works perfectly. Weird!

Thanks for your help, everyone.

And thanks for the compliment, slejhamer...most people think my music is a bit odd. :)

ReplyQuote