Notifications
Clear all

Pops and noise in amp from light switch

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@headhunter)
Topic starter  

Can anyone suggest a way to stop my amp (Spider2 30watt) from poping loudly whenever a light is turned of in my house? Maybe some sort of power conditioner? Cheap preferrably. I also pick up radio on it but I live near radio transmitters and don't think any amount of sheilding will work on that.

Thanks for any help.

Da Headhunter

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

try another outlet or even another room.
when I record I turn off the frig. well almost. I know what you mean.
when I changed rooms the worst of it went away. I ended up looking at the sources
and learned florescent fixtures are noise makers. frigs are up there too.
using one outlet only for your gear helps. even better if it does not share the same
electrical circuit as the frig. that is key most times.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@chaisewilson)
Trusted Member

hey man I have the same exact amp and i have the same problem except mine does it whenever my stove is turned on???!!!!!??? truth be told they are just cheap weird stupid acting amps!! I really have come to hate mine haha!!

the spider II is full of many many flaws just like this one if you just got it take it back!!! you wont regret it!!!

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

hey man I have the same exact amp and i have the same problem except mine does it whenever my stove is turned on???!!!!!??? truth be told they are just cheap weird stupid acting amps!! I really have come to hate mine haha!!

the spider II is full of many many flaws just like this one if you just got it take it back!!! you wont regret it!!!
Dude, the amp isn't defective. It's just highly sensitive to changes in electricity. Granted, some amps are worse than others, and this may be the case here, but there isn't much you can do about hum like that. This is why in concerts and such, the sound is never on the same power circuit with the lights. Switch outlets so you aren't on the same breaker as your large appliances.

As for picking up radio signals, in the original post, isn't that a sign of a greater problem? As far as I know, amps themselves don't usually do that...I mean, i could be wrong. Then again, you said you live really close. Check for any ground loops.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote