Notifications
Clear all

Power as Amp???

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@blankpaperoceans)
Topic starter  

So, im thinking, could i buy a power amp, like this one http://www.bayviewproaudio.com/RA150-p-17393.html

and just hook it up to the cab?, get a pre amp, and an equalizer, or something, ...would that work?? as of now i have a marshall avt cab, 200W @ 8 ohms, i am just wondering if this kind of thing is done, im really unhappy with ALL of the amps out there ive tried, and looking for a way around it, and keep it in the rack, any comments appreciated thanks.

Colin

(@lederhoden)
Trusted Member

With a pre-amp, that should be fine. Just make sure that you match the output impedance of the amp to the speakers.

ReplyQuote
(@blankpaperoceans)
Topic starter  

why dont more people do this? it would give your TOTAL control of your sound, ...or am i just retarded? LOL

any other comments?

Colin

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Most people can't be bothered, I reckon. Buy a combo, with pre-amp, power amp and speaker "cab" all in one package and you can guarantee that everything is compatible.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

why dont more people do this? it would give your TOTAL control of your sound, ...or am i just retarded? LOL

any other comments?

Colin

Total control of what sound? The power amp will (lightly) amplify and produce a high power signal appropriate for driving a cab. But all the character of your signal will now depend upon creating the tone (and most of the gain) you desire in a preamp and effects processors or an amp modeller (e.g. POD XT) or maybe a preamp, FX and small saturated power amp to drive the big power amp. With only the Alesis power amp and cab, you are essentially creating a line-level input PA for a guitar -- the only sonic character from these components alone with be that imparted by the cab/drivers. BTW, this amp should not be driven to distortion (overdrive or saturation) in any way or your cab drivers are toast.

I'm sure Joe forrock_star will weigh in on this, as he does use smaller tube amps and attenuators and EQs and some other items to produce a signal that drives a higher power amplifier/cab.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

It's very much less than optimal. There was a Guitar World or Guitar One (can't remember now) that had an explanation of how to get this done right, basically just using a power amp to get a good signal to two cabs and not lose anything in tone when the amp was overdriven. I don't have a scanner, but I'll see if I can dig the article up and spout off some of the specifics when I get home.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

That particular amp is best suited to use as for monitor system in a recording situation. It will work for a guitar rig as well, it's designed for a transparent sound to give you an uncolored sound. It won't give you that sought after saturated power amp sound. If your thinking of going rack mounted amp on that quest for saturated output consider tube power amps like Mesa Boogie, Peavy, Marshall, etc.. Even when I'm run anything from small 12 watt tube amps to full stack guitar amps they are after my pre-amp rig. Each piece of equipment adds to the total out come.

Here's what one of my rack mounted pre-amp rigs would basically consist of.

Rack case, A line conditioner, tube pre-amp, couple stereo equalizers, tube power amp, attenuator, speakers. From the attenuator outs both line and speaker outs I run into other eq, power amp, setups. Please note that running other equipment from off the attenuator speaker outs you need to monitor the signal levels to stay within spec's. +4 to -10. If you don't you damage things real quick. However the preamp rigs tube power amps do drive speakers also. Which will be loud enough for most playing situations.

Essentially what I'm doing is amplifying my sound and tone which I achieve from the pre-amp setup. Different guitar amps whether its a 12 watt tube amp or Tube stack is also running at their output saturation point, then from there if more volume is needed I use solid state power amps and 4x12 cabinets or the speakers from the pre-amp rigs are miked or line outs into the main board. Hope this helped answer your question.

Joe

ReplyQuote