Clear all

power mixer amp set up

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have a peavey power/mixer amp I was just wondering if it is best to have the channel volume eg mic up high and the master volume low or line volume low and master high.I can get reasonable volumes at the moment without feedback but could do with a little more.At present i keep the channel volume low and the master high.
Any help much appreciated.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

(@english-one)
Estimable Member

Probably the way you're doing it now is the best. By turning up the input levels you're more likely to get distortion or feedback, but don't have them too quiet!

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thats what I thought.I assume the channel volume works pretty much the same as the gain on a guitar amp eg for more distortion turn up the gain and turn the master down.
cheers

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

bobblehat

Myself, I do it just the opposite. I like to turn my vocal channel up about 2/3 which still leaves some headroom. Then I adjust the Master accordingly.

A Powered Mixer does not work like a guitar amp. It doesn't distort or overdrive, it CLIPS. This is not distortion, although it will sound like distortion through your speakers. Never clip your amp. Your speakers will try to imitate this clipped signal and it will damage them. This is probably the #1 reason people blow their PA speakers.

Here is an article that explains clipping.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~jcgl/Scots_Guide/audio/clipping/page1.html

Note the picture. See how the top of the waves are cut off square? That is clipping.

But guitar amps are designed to distort. It is desired.

PAs are designed to produce the cleanest sound possible without distortion. Especially for the voice.

Each channel of your Powered Mixer should have a little red clipping warning light. It is ok if this light blinks occasionally, but you don't want to see it on all the time. Lots of times the kick drum will set it off. This is ok. It is not a problem if it just blinks with the kick every time. But you never want to see this light on steady.

You should also have clip lights for the Masters. Once again, red means clipping, so keep it out of there.

But going back to your original question. You want the strongest signal possible from your mic. This is why I turn the channel gain or volume up and leave the Master down. The master amplifies whatever it receives from the individual channel pre-amps, so you want it to get a good signal.

Just take Master up until you have the needed overall volume.

But stay out of clipping on your channels and Master.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote