Notifications
Clear all

Powered mixer/non powered mixer

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@kfreeman)
Topic starter  

I want to use an alesis multimix, and push it through 1 of my inputs on my Yamaha EM660 powered mixer. I have two questions, first-i need more channels to play through, will this work? I have 4 voice channels, 1 guitar and 4 mics on a hand percussion set.

Will this make my powered mixers amp clip, i'm splitting 1 channel, do you think that this will hurt my system?

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You can do that. As far as clipping, when running out of the Alesis into a channel on the Yamaha observe the clip light on the channel you are running into. While you are singing or running instruments into the Alesis at the level you will be performing, slowly turn up gain on that channel until the clip light just begins to blink, then back off slightly. This will give you the strongest signal without distortion.

It is not unusual for a kick drum to cause the clip light to flash, this is ok. What you want to avoid is having the clip light on continuously.

Tried to get your manual at Yamaha but it didn't work for me, but you might have other inputs you can run the Alesis into. I saw a pic and the Yamaha has Aux inputs, you should be able to run the Alesis into this as well, but check your manual to make sure.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

You're power mixer will clip the channel if the input is too hot, just like any other input.

It's tricky to get the levels right when you're daisy channing mixers, but it does work.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@kfreeman)
Topic starter  

Thanks for your input. If i am running into my Yamaha, what would i run it into-an Aux channel? from Aux to Aux?

this is the manuel http://www.usersmanualguide.com/yamaha_audio/mixers/emx660

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

If you have aux in's for left and right, then run them in there.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote