Clear all

practise amp recommendation

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm a beginner to guitar, and I want a small practise amp...no more than around $150 (because I still don't know if I'll stick with guitar or not).

I want an '80s heavy metal tone. I know that in my price range, I won't even get close...so as close as is possible. I've been thinking about Marshall MG15DFX or Peavey TransTube amps.

Can anyone recommend a cheap but good-sounding amp that comes as close as possible to tube-like tone? Thanks...Patrick

(@big_star)

I'm no expert, but those Transtube amps sound great to me.  And I'm not the only one to say so.

Anyway, the advice you'll get is to go to the store and try them out, and I can't agree more.

'You were made of wood and cried cos no one understood, but I have splinters in my fingers.
Like driftwood from the shore, you were rotten to the core.'

Buffalo Tom - Treehouse

ReplyQuote
(@stock28)
Estimable Member

I've used the Marshall MG15DFX and it aint bad for a small practice amp. Pretty capable of a lot of tones for a small amp. Price is right also.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I've Gotta recommend the Vox Pathfinder 15.  Excellent sound, excellent price - $99 USD

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Why not go for a Behringer gx108 (nice amp for 70$) and add a metal distortion pedal?

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the advice. Shipping costs are monsterous, so I'll probably have to buy locally, which means limited selection.

I still like the idea of the Marshall MG15DFX. I heard sound samples of the Roland Cube-15, and to my newbie ears its clean channel sounds very nice.

ReplyQuote
(@preston)
Trusted Member

You want a '80s metal sound from a 25 watt practice amp?! I know exactly the amp you need!

PeaveyBackstage Chorus 208. Dig around at Pawn Shops. You can find them for around $100(US).

"Don't try to describe a KISS concert if you've never seen it." Jimmy Buffett

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I still like the idea of the Marshall MG15DFX. I heard sound samples of the Roland Cube-15, and to my newbie ears its clean channel sounds very nice.

Oh definitely. It is the amp they recommend here to all starters. A shame it was just a bit above my pricerange (yeah, every dollar counts :( ), but without doubt a great amp for its price.

ReplyQuote