Clear all

Pro Junior Noise Normal?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I bought a Pro Junior at GC today. They only had the floor model to sell, but I got it for under $200, so I'm not complaining. When I got it home and tried it out, I noticed that there was a fair amount of hissing and buzzing. This is with the guitar volume all the way down and the tone and volume knobs turned all the way down on the amp. Is this normal?

I could take it back, but they don't have any more in the store.

Thanks,
Jim

(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Does it still do it with no cable or guitar connected to it? I've heard that sometimes the middle top screw on the back of the amp accidentally touches a pot. They suggest backing it out a little. You might give it try. When I got my Hot Rod Deluxe it did the same thing and I had to exchange it.

Yes, it does. Maybe not as loud, but it's still there. I may try taking it back to a different GC today.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I've owned quite a few tube amps in my time, and in my experience many tube amps make some funny noises the first few times you play them, but then get quieter in maybe a week of regular play. I've also swapped a few speakers out in amps and they will also make some pretty freaky noises at first.

So, maybe play the amp a week and see if some of the cracks and pops go away. If not, then take it in.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

Tube amps usually have some noise, which is normal.

Unfortunately, yours seems to be much more than normal.
Bad preamp tubes are usually the cause, but it can be something more involved and expensive to correct, especially in a circuit board amp.

The best bet is to exchange it for another one before the time expires on their return policy. Sending it to the repair shop is also possible, but its much better to get a new one that sounds right.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

make sure you use the standby button, also. I was the only person I knew who used tube when I first got my marshall, and had no clue why there was a standby button on it. I'd just turn on at first, and got a lot of hum. I found that once I utilised the standby button that reduced the hum a fair bit. still hums though, as do all tube amps.

oh yeah, meant to add - if its the floor model, is there a chance the tubes have been worn out a bit by shop-use?

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry, I haven't been checking this thread lately. I took the amp back along with a MIM Standard Strat that I bought at the same time and exchanged them for a 1996 US Standard Strat in Daphne Blue. Here is a link to that thread:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38003

Again, my apologies for not updating this post sooner.

Jim

ReplyQuote