Clear all

Recommendations

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing guitar for about 8 months and I just got an electric guitar (an Ibanez SA260 incase you want to know) about a month ago. I am looking to get a few efx for my new baby and wanted a few suggestions.

I am looking to create rhythymic metal songs with spacey psychadelic solos, sort of a Tom Morello meets Omar-Rodriguez Lopez. I know for sure I like the effects of the wah-wah, delay, and reverb.

I am trying to keep them pretty inexpensive, around $100 and under each (does that sound like a good price for something a little better than average quality?).

I will only be playing at home and jamming with friends, so I don't need the best, but I don't want them to break or be disappointed with the quality. Just something a notch above average.

Thanks for all help and reccomendations!

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

$100 can get you a decent effect, especially for something basic.

I have a crybaby wah that I bought for $120 brand new which was worth it, it's simple to use and i love it.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Three more questions:

1) What's the difference between delay and reverb?

2) What does a flanger do?

3) What doeas a phaser do?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here is a good page that describes most of the common effects.

http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/fx-desc.htm

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

I like the descriptions at the MonkeyFX site: http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/fxguide.html

Wes' page is more in-depth and probably gives a better understanding of what's going on, but the MonkeyFX descriptions are fun to read anyways. :)

TZ

ReplyQuote