Reverb and chorus

Notifications
Clear all

Reverb and chorus

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Please help... I'd like to know what the effects : Reverb and Chorus do... and how can I have them when I'm playing [i.e. can they only be found in amps or is there something like a pedal?]

peace
amante

(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

You need to download and read the Boss Guitar Effects Guide book available for free at:

http://www.bossus.com/Manuals/BOSS_GuitarEffects_GuideBook_Vol17.pdf

This is a wonderful resource when you are new to effects.

Then go find a music store that has effects already set up, or click on some sample sounds online at Musicians Friend.

Reverb, Chorus, Delay, Overdrive and/or Distortion, Compression and Wah, are some of the more commonly used effects, but there are plenty more, and depending upon what style of music you are playing would dictate what effects you may need.

Don't spend too much time worrying about effects to the point that your playing suffers.  But playing loud with distortion will tell you real quick just how good your single string work is... as you must always mute excess string noise or the clairity is mush.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Reverb short for reverbation:
What reverb units are used to do is create artificial reflections of sound. which occurs naturally in most indoor environments like walls,floor,ceiling and other surfaces. There are many different types of units available to name a few Echo chamber, duct type, spring type(which most amps use),plate type, and digital. A good Quality reverb unit will allow you to adjust everything from early reflection,decay,Pre Delay,delay,density,Feedback Level,Size (small,medium,large, Hall). to name a few.

Chorus:
Is created by adding a slightly delayed, pitch-modulated version of a sound to the original sound, in roughly equal proportions. The intention is to create the illusion that two or more instruments are playing the same part at the same time. It creates a sense of movement and stereo width.

How much of either effect is used is a matter of choice.   You just need to spend time adjusting both and finding what sounds good to you.

Use effects to expand our creativity as a musician. I use anything and everything that I can plug my guitar into looking for a sound. that's just part of finding your own style and sound.

Hope this helps

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

both helped a lot

10x

peace
amante

ReplyQuote