Clear all

Setting up an EQ

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@themick7)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I now have all of my gear and I am having a little trouble making sure the EQ is set where it should be for the best sound. Are there any dB presets that usually sound the best while playing live music for the most part. I am running a PV 24FX, through a PV 215 Equalizer, a PV Kosmos Pro, and a 2500 WATT Amp. Granted, I really do not know where to set any of the levels for general live sound. I know that it will depend on the size of venue, but is it better to have less power more volume or more volume less power, etc. If anyone has any answers, please let me know. I really like the Kosmos, but do not know what levels to set all of the knobs to. Again, I know it varies, but there has to be a fine medium.

Thanks for all of the previous help.

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

You should find this link helpful:

http://www.happy-gods.com/sounds/RingOut.html

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The front of house EQ does as much to compensate for the charecteristics of the venue as it does for the speakers.
There is no such thing as a "generic EQ" that fits all rooms or all speakers.

Put on a CD that you are very familliar with, and listen carefuly to the PA while adjusting the EQ.
Start with everything "flat", then listen for what sounds the worst.
High? Mid? Low? Somewhere between those?
Pick a control (educated guess until you get good at this) that is in that part of the spectrum (hi, min, low) and move it to it's extreme in the direction it sounds like it needs to go.
Did you get the right frequency? If not, reset to middle and try the next one over.

Once you find the right frequency, adjust it until it sounds better. Then adjust the ones on either side of that to see (hear) if that helps. If it doesn't help, return to the middle.
Now, repeat until until you run out of badness to get rid of. What's left should sound pretty good

Monitor EQ is a little different. Start with a similar approach, roll off the low end a bit so bass rumble doesn't get carried away anon stage, then start bringing up the level and have someone talk to the mic until you get feedback. Find that frequency (Trial and error is an acceptable method), and pull it's slider down some, then start bringing up the overall level again looking for more feedback to snuff out.
Once the monitors are way louder that you'll ever need them, and you are free of feedback, then pull the level back down to normal, and you shouldn't have any trouble.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote