Clear all

Singing drummer

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@marcd)
Topic starter  

Hi

I'm in a punk/uptempo rock band that consists of 4 people - me as non-playing singer, bassist, guitarist and singing drummer. Can anyone suggest how we would go about miking the drummer for vocals as thus far its not something we've tried live and on the occassional song he might do backing and on one song the vocals are likely to be split almost equally?

Is this an Overhead mic problem?

Cheers people

MarcD

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hi Marc

Welcome to GuitarNoise 8)

Well, we've always just used a simple boom mic from either side (whichever the drummer prefers). The mic will also pick up the snare and cymbals but that's a good thing. If you put a mic on the kick-drum then most of the time these two mics is all you'll need.

You can just use a good vocal mic like a Shure SM58. If you want to keep the snare and cymbals out, try a Shure SM57.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Val
(@val)
Estimable Member

How about a Headset Microphone? I am not recommending this particular model, you understand, just the idea!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Strange, I was just looking this up on the net. That's a nice headset mic!

Anyhow, Shure has one for drummers, and then there's the 'Garth Brooks' Crown headset mic.

My question is, is there a way to mod a cell-phone in-ear-mic for use as a personal monitor system? Not for going FOH; just as a single channel vocal reference mic/monitor? Voice goes to small mixer then straight back to earpiece(s). Front Of House gets fed from standard vocal mic.

I was looking at commercial airline headsets too.

It's just that in our situation, there's never any reliable monitors because it's always 'someone else's' PA - that kind of thing.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

If you've ever seen Don Henly(the eagles), who is a singing drummer, he uses a boom that goes straight over the top of his head. I'd bet that it stays out of the way. Check it out on Eagles Farewell I!

ReplyQuote
(@drgonzo)
Eminent Member

I'd recommend not sing headset mics at all. If you're playing punk/rock, i'm guessing there'll be a fair amount of on-stage noise, so the condenser mic in the headset will be practically useless. Also, same goes for the in-ear headset thing. it might work, but it probably won't be loud enough.

I'd recommend using a decent hyper-cardioid mic (such as an sm57 or sennheiser e845), and using a boom stand way up high with the boom arm coming back down towards the floor. this gives you a nice small stage footprint (takes up less space), and lets you get a good angle for the mic. you want it pointing up rather than level, this will get most of the snare and cymbals out of the mic.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

A drummer that sings?

But that's three things (drumming, breathing, singing) all at once.

Doesn't sound like any drummers i know..... :lol:

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@drgonzo)
Eminent Member

at least they can breathe and play at the same time.

the number of times i've seen guitarists lose all muscle control during "the hard bit" of their solo, and start writhing around on the floor... doesn't bear thinking about.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

the number of times i've seen guitarists lose all muscle control during "the hard bit" of their solo, and start writhing around on the floor... doesn't bear thinking about.

I don't do *that*!

I have been known to start drooling once in a while . . .

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@drgonzo)
Eminent Member

see, i knew it!

not that i can talk, i'm a bass player myself...

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

A drummer that sings?

But that's three things (drumming, breathing, singing) all at once.

Doesn't sound like any drummers i know..... :lol:

Matt

Hi, Matt. Good to meet you! Guess what else? I can also chew gum while drumming, breathing and singing. Since I forget to refill my water pitcher between sets and usually don't have anything to kill the thirst, I chew gum. So to count off a song it goes - a - 1 and a - chew and a - ratt-a-tatt-tatt - ...oh baby, baby. :lol:

Plus...BONUS...if the guitarists give me any crap or the bassist makes another mistake, I just spit the gum in his hair.

BTW, I'm currently looking for a new band. Last weekend the bassist made one too many mistakes. :D

I also ran out of gum but that's another story. :roll:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote