Skip to content
Speaker Replacement...

Notifications
Clear all

Speaker Replacement: 8ohm (new speakers) into a 4ohm combo?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jpowel12)
Topic starter  

Hi, my current amp is a Crate GX-60C. It is 60w (30w per channel), solid state and is a 4ohm combo amp. The stock speakers are 10" 4ohm (say Custom Design on them). (I know it's not that great of an amp but I can't afford to upgrade the amp right now with college tuition, and I need/want an upgrade for small venues)

I'm looking to upgrade the speakers to a pair of 10" Eminence speakers. I've decided on either Ramrod (Red Coat Series) or Ragin Cajun (Patriot Series). My problem is that they are both 8ohm speakers...would I run into any problems installing the 8ohm speakers into my 4ohm amp? The stock speakers for my amp are 10", 4ohm speakers.

Thanks in advance guys, your help will me very appreciated,

Jordan

(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

If you're going to upgrade speakers, why not upgrade to something that will actually sound better than the stock Crate speakers, which are normally OEM Eminence speakers re-badged for Crate/SLM anyways? I'd look at something like a Weber speaker, like a 10VS, which should actually do both your volume level and tone some good. You can select the impedance you want, too!

Here's a link to the speaker I'm talking about: https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/10vfs.htm

Here's Webers' main page URL: http://www.tedweber.com/

Hope that helps

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm drunk as a kangeroo so take things with a grain of salt. But if the poweramp-out expects 4ohm and the speaker is 8ohm I doubt there is a problem. If anything the resistence of the cab is rather high so it should be slightly lower in volume, or something. A general rule I use (no idea if it's correct, most of my amps survived it though) is that the ohmage of the amp should be equal or lower then the ohmage of the speaker. And if ohmage isn't a word feel free to replace it with the correct term. Or an incorrect term if you're a rebel.

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

Eh, no harm, no foul. Just hope you manage to sleep past any hangover. :lol: Generally, solid-state amps are quite forgiving as to speaker impedance. I was actually more concerned that the fellow was spending money to trade between almost identical-sounding/performing speakers, only with the wrong impedance.

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@jpowel12)
Topic starter  

Hey, thanks for the replies.

I'm looking into the weber speakers right now...The only reason I picked those two Eminence speakers is because they were the closest fit to the "Man O War" speaker that they make. The "Man O War" is only in 12".

The reason i was going to go with a "Man O War" speaker was because it was supposed to be a knock-off of the Celestion G12T-75's which is also a 12" only model. The Celestion G12T-75 was my original pick because it seemed like it would be a good fit for my style of music (Indie, Punk, and Acoustic).

If you know of a good 10" speaker that would give a similar sound to the Celestion G12T-75's, even just my style of music, then please let me know. I'm not interested at all in brand names, but performance only...though the two often go hand in hand. I'm not willing to spend much more than $100 a speaker too.

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

Because of physics, a 10-inch speaker won't have the same characteristics/sound as a 12-inch speaker. If you want the response of a good 12-inch speaker, you'll have to get a 12-inch speaker. A 10-inch isn't going to give it to you. There are a number of both 10-inch and 12-inch speakers in the Weber British Series that would do a great job from your description.

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@jpowel12)
Topic starter  

haha, I bought this a few nights ago on a whim at 2:30am (I'd researched the cabinet and was considering it back when it was $300 +$75 shipped...so I guess it's not really a whim when I was able to get it for $200 and free shipping)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GT412-4X12-Full-Size-Guitar-Cabinet?sku=603017

Anyways, if it turns out that I don't like celestion's "economy speakers" (Seventy 80's) that are in this, I should be able to ebay them for ~$40 each or sell them to a music store in town. Even if I only got $100 for them I'd probably be happy with the purchase so long as the cab is well built, because it has good features (to me) right now. After that I would put in the G12T-75's I've been craving. But for that price I just couldn't pass it up.

ReplyQuote
(@like2jam)

That crate 4x12 is a steal at $269 shipped. Sell the speakers for $40/ea and you're into the cab for $110.

I would not upgrade the speakers in your amp - it is a terrible investment. When you part with that amp - the speakers will not add one nickel to the price. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@jpowel12)
Topic starter  

haha, yeah. I actually got free shipping on it...so I got a great deal. I'm very happy with my decision to get it.

I need a head now though.

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=36627

go here and lend me a hand. :D

ReplyQuote