Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Speakers

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

A friend told me that my two 40 watt floor speakers could be hooked up to my amp, is this ture, and how do i do it?
Thanks
~PauL~

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yes - maybe - no.

What rating is your amp? If you have more than 40w, then I would say "not a good idea".

What impedance is your amp and does it match the impedance of the speakers? There are ways of putting speakers with an unmatched amp, but I would seek out the help of a technician.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

my amps is 40 watt also, but for independence i've no idea what it is to begin with!
Thanks
~PauL~

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Impedance is electrical resistance and is measured in Ohms. Most speakers are 2, 4, 8 or 16 Ohms, as are amps. The point is that they must match, otherwise nasty things can happen, like blown speaker cones. It is possible for a technician to connect up unmatched speakers in such a way that it will work, but this is not for the uninitiated.

Somwhere on the amp and on the speaker cab are plates, which tell you continous RMS (maybe peak RMS) and impedance.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If they are stereo floor speakers  with mid's and a tweeter, I wouldn't.
They just weren't designed for guitars. Most speakers are designed for a speicial purpose in mind.

Chances are they will sound bad and you may even blow one out. Even if the Ohms and power rating are the same.

Just my 2 cents...Joe

ReplyQuote