Clear all

Stereo setup with a 4X10 cab?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been curious about setting up my recently completed 4X10 to play in stereo and I was wondering what results others have experienced with their cabs set up for stereo. I've been running a RP250 pedal through a EVJ head which is plenty loud for basement playing and I figured that I would just get another EVJ head and rewire the cab. Has anyone done anything similar?

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, I don't have a 4x10 but I have used my 2x12 in stereo. Personally I don't see much point in going stereo on a single cab, all stereo effects don't really come through as the speakers are too close together. It is very nice for combining various sounds though: a clean EVJ mixed with a overdriven EVJ for example.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

You would have to have 2 jacks on the back of the amp, one wired to 2 of the speakers, and one wired to the other 2 speakers. Each side would need a separate head to work. Don't forget that you won't be able to maintain the same impedance that your cab is now. For instance, if the cab is 4 ohms now, then each side will be either 2 ohms or 4 ohms, depending on whether you wire each side in series or parallel.

But, I have a 2x12" cab that has 2 jacks in the back that are setup like this. (keep in mind that each of the 12" speakers in mine would be equal to 2 of your 10" speakers) Jack 1 is for the left speaker at 8 ohms. If jack 1 has something in it, then jack 2 goes to the right speaker at 8 ohms. But, if there's nothing in jack 1, then jack 2 combines both speakers, for an impedance of 4 ohms.
However, i'm not sure how you would go about wiring it like this. It would use shorting jacks and such...

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Combining different sounds like a clean amp with an over-driven amp is an interesting idea, I was more interested in if I could develop more pronounced modulation-type effects ( like chorus, for example ) with a stereo setup. I figure you don't get much separation running both sides out of the same cab. Thanks.

Actually, I hadn't really spelled out my current wiring setup, but it's (4) 4 ohm speakers wired series/parallel so that the overall cab stays at 4 ohms. If I split it, I'd be running 8 ohms on each side, which is a piece of cake for two EVJ heads. Wiring it is not really an issue for me, I'm looking more for others' experiences actually running a stereo setup - the pluses and the minuses, so that I can decide if it's worth going down that road for a while.

Anyone have any successes or horror stories to share?

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@soundsgood)
Trusted Member

have you seen valvejunior.com,he runs 2 vj's into a cab 8)

gibsonSG standard/gallagher"doc watson" acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It's been a while since I read through the discussion on the site, thanks for reminding me. I just re-read it, +1. :D

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I would prefer running two heads into seperate cabs. If you run seperate cabs you can move them apart, thus IMO, you hear a more pronounced affect of the effect. Say you have a pedal that pans the sound from left to right. If the speakers are in the same cab, you'll not really notice the seperation, but if the cabs are 10 feet apart, there is a more pronounced difference

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote