Clear all

suggestion for begginers?

13 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi, just wanna ask you..for a Beginner like me and have only 200$ on the pocket..which one would you consider me to buy?
1) i actually wanna some good amp modelling that can also be usable ( n good enough ) for my electric acoustic guitar..
2) not noisy
3) good enough for playing live..such as : minimal latency when changing amps modelling,etc.

i really want to learn knowing how to put the fx's such delay,chorus,wah for my guitar playing. (i am quiet shamed that i've been playing guitar for 5 years, have been listening megadeth's stufff,blues and now playing fusion, but haven't ever touch any fx's...)

my consideration is : buy one of this fx : v-amp2 or digitech rp200 or korg ax1500g?
and buy some stompbox....might be some behringer stuffs ( coz it's affordable for me) ....like their's wah "hellababe"..

well, would you think it's a good idea? thx u

oh ya..if you have another suggestion..wrack it up, i would be honour..thx u :)

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

1) None of the really works well with AE guitars, although you can bypass the preamp and just use the effects.
2) Totally depends on your settings. If you pump the gain you'll get noise, just like with the real amps.
3) All of these modelers have delays when switching amp models, and IIRC none of them have a delay when switching between amp settings/effects.

I've got the V-amp2, sold it, bought it back, sold it and bought it back again. I use it with the band and to record and I don't know what to make of it. Sometimes I can't get it close to what I want and other times it's spot on. In any case it's well worth the 99,- it costs now. If you can save a bit more (or go used) check out on the Vox Tonelab, that's IMHO currently the best affordable modeler for clean/blues/rock sounds.

ReplyQuote
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi,Arjen..thx for the reply...i wanna throw some of my question,if you don't mind of course.. :)
so,your saying...that it's not good if i use v-amp2 as a preamp for myAE?
i wanna to place it like this:
AE-Vamp2-Mixer....is it good ?
or..would you think that i should buy behringer's acoustic amp modeler stompbox? thx u

btw,what would you think about using v-amp2 in live performance ( without it's foot controller FCB1010)....is it reliable?

or would you just suggest me to just buy those stompboxes though i don't really know about what tone that i'm looking for? i mean,i'm a begginer... :(
thx u a lot

btw, what do you think about digitech rpx 400? thx u

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I would never use a V-amp2 live, it's plastic. If you plan to gig alot, shell-out the few extra bucks and get the metal 19"V-amp pro. For an AE you might want to check ou Behringers ADI pedal, it's a miniature AE pre-amp for about 40,-. You connect it straight to a mixer and that's it. The V-amp2 really is way more suited for electric guitars.

The V-amp2 comes with a basic foot controller, the FCB1010 is an advanced MIDI-floorboard that works with a thousand devices. Hardly needed although it offers some need options. If you create your presets with care the included footwitch does all you need. The V-amp pro does *not* come with a footswitch.

The Digitech RPX is a nice device although it might contain a bunch of functions you have little need for. Don't forget to check out their new GNX series, as well as zooms G and GFX series. All of these have multiple versions starting for about as much as the V-amp and ending up a bit higher. Your best bet is check them all out in a local store, preferably with someone who has some experience with digital modelers.

As for stompboxes, make sure you understand the different types. Behringer has, for example, a line of simple DI-modeler boxes (ADI for accoustic, BDI for bass and GDI for electrics IIRC, check http://www.behringer.com ) and a line of effect pedals. You will need either a modeler like the ones you suggested or a DI box before you can connect the guitar properly to the mixerboard: just a bunch of distortion pedals really won't do. The DI pedals are much cheaper then the V-amp or similar devices but the V-amp offers much, much more different sounds and options. What is best for you is hard to say, maybe you want to go cheap first with the DI-line, maybe you want a basic modeler or maybe you want to save up and get yourself a super-duper setup.

How do you see yourself using your gear in, say, the next 12-18 months? If you don't expect to be touring all over the world any time soon your best bet would be something like the V-amp. Experiment around, see which effects you like and which you don't like, try out the different amp models and just develop your own taste. After that, when both your ear, taste and skills have developed you are probably ready to spend the Big Bucks on precisely the gear you're after.

ReplyQuote
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

wow..thx u Arjen: that's a great advice...n i'm amazed... :)
actually, it is hard for me in my country actually to try out the fx...the shopguy usually don't really happy to give us a try...except of course if we really-really gonna buy it... :(

that's why i'm quiet desperate about this stuff...anyway, i'm very impressed by the vamp2..n now, just got this question.. 8) :)
1. the vamp2 doesn't have the usb socket...so,how can i upload the presets from behringer.com and also the other websites?
2. my amp HUghes n ketnner blue edition have an fx send return.....now, where should i must connect the vamp2 to the amp..is it to the main socket or to the return socket? n when i combine it with any speaker or power amp...should i turn off the cabinet simulator?
3. how if i want to use the stompbox such as harmonizer,or compressor,or wah.etc but i still want to use the amp simulator n some fx from the v-amp2...how should i connect it?

anyway..i'm quiet often to go on stage...n i'm actually thinking of buying a v-amp2 just for the amp modelling n just for starting point on knowing the fx's. and later, i might just get the stompboxes n use the Vamp2 mainly for it's amp modelling n might just use 1 or two of vamp2's fxs. is it a good idea? please tell me if i'm wrong.. :wink:
thx u very much for concern about me.. :)

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Jeansen
Some answers :
1. the vamp2 doesn't have the usb socket...so,how can i upload the presets from behringer.com and also the other websites?
Answer; You should use the MIDI interface on the Vamp-2 together with a MIDI interface/MIDI cable from the PC.

2. my amp HUghes n ketnner blue edition have an fx send return.....now, where should i must connect the vamp2 to the amp..is it to the main socket or to the return socket? n when i combine it with any speaker or power amp...should i turn off the cabinet simulator?
Answer; If you want to use the Vamp-2 as an FX unit (without amp/cabinet modelling) with your amp you should connect the Vamp-2 guitar input to FX-out on the amp and Vamp-2 outputs to FX return on the amp. Press Tap and Tuner simultainously to bypass guitar mic preamp and disable amp/cabinet modelling function.

3. how if i want to use the stompbox such as harmonizer,or compressor,or wah.etc but i still want to use the amp simulator n some fx from the v-amp2...how should i connect it?
Answer ; Connect the "stompbox" between guitar and Vamp-2 input.

BUT beware to use an Acoustic guitar with built-in mic and preamp together with Vamp-2. The signal level from a mic preamp is much higher than the signal level from an electric guitar mic and may overdrive the input preamp of the VAMP-2.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

If you want to use the Vamp-2 as an FX unit (without amp/cabinet modelling) with your amp you should connect the Vamp-2 guitar input to FX-out on the amp and Vamp-2 outputs to FX return on the amp
HI...thx u for the reply,Kalle ..but you've missed out my question..i'm actually talking about how if i wanna to use the v-amp2 as my preamp ( i wanna to use the amp and /or cabinet modelling)...where should i put it ? on the amp's fx-return or into the amp's guitar input ?
thx u
btw, You've told me that i must be carefull if i wanna to use my vamp on AE...so how to deal with it?

hope you could understand my english..i'm sorry because of my poor english.. :) thx u again

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Connect like this:

guitar->pre-gain stompboxes->V-amp->post-gain stompboxes->FX Return.

You probably want to disable cabsims but it won't hurt anything by leaving them on, so feel free to experiment. Connect the V-amp to your pc using MIDI and download the free editor on Behringer's site. The V-amp is great as introduction and you can slowly replace FX with higher quality effects as you learn what you need and don't need.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more. :)

ReplyQuote
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

wow...thx for answering...just wanna ask...
I would never use a V-amp2 live
hi..is it only because v-amp2 is a plastic?

i don't think i could afford the v-amp pro...so,do you think that i just buy another than the v-amp2? i'm planning to use it for playing live for sometimes but then i'll get the stompbox..

this is actually my last consideration : is it reliable ( not easily broken/damage) enough? cause i read the review at harmony-central....the realibility of vamp2 is not convincing...btw,it doesn't have the on/off switch...really worries me... :(
what do you think?
thx u :)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

No, it doesn't have an on/off switch, my V-amp is running 24/7 and has been doing so for over a year. It only gets disconnected when I carry it to band rehearsals. And yes, the plasticness is why I wouldn't use it live. I've never had issues with band rehearsals but I personally just wouldn't want to take the chance. There is a lot of 'behringer is unreliable' talk on the internet, parly true and partly overdone. I've a lot of Behringer stuff (V-amp2, Bass V-amp pro, mixer, mics, pedals) and it if you take care it won't crap out easily. The only thing that crapped out on me was their wah, was defective when it arrived. I exchanged it and the new one works without issues. But I do doubt it stands up to heavy touring and stuff like that, if that applies to you.

ReplyQuote
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thx u very much,Arjen..hope you've not bored with me..haha...thx u.... :)
how about their pedal...can it be compared with one of those boss pedal? :) thx u

ReplyQuote
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi..sorry, forgot to ask this question...can i use the v-amp as a booster for my amp?
n i can't find the midi socket in my pc..where is it? thx u
that's all i wanna ask you..thx :)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hey Jeanson,

I just read your thread and thought I'd give my 2 cents on the V-Amp2...If you go to this thread you can see how I am running my setup. I have been using the v-amp 2 for about 6 months (I've been playing for 8 ) and I love it. Now I don't gig and don't plan to anytime soon. I use the V-Amp as a preamp and my regular is nothing more than a power amp. I just purchased a few Danelecgtro pedals and I too am trying to figure out where in the chain they should go.

As for the V-Amp's sound...I think Arjen would agree...if you take the time to tweak your settings you'll be very happy with it. If you just want to plug in and turn one knob and sound like Jimmy Page then you'll hate it. When I read the reviews of the V-Amp those that complain I believe are looking for instant gratification. I haven't even used the software yet to edit the tone effects. I need to get a midi to usb cable. I have still been able to create some very usable sounds. I have Angus Young's sound down convincingly I think. I plan on using the pedals to enhance the V-Amp's sound and I feel in combination the results will be pleasing at least to me.

I suggest that when you get the V-Amp set some time aside from your practice schedule and just play with the different presets and effects. Do this over several days and even record when you have so you can play it back to judge it. This way you won't be wasting your practice time tweaking tone.

I hope this helps

ReplyQuote