Clear all

suggestions for a "clean" amp

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

what would be a good amp to get for a nice, loud, clean sound? i know of the fender twin and the roland JC120, but what would be some others to think about (either combo or head/cab combo?) would any mesa/boogie's fit the bill? thanks

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"Loud and clean" sure sounds like Fender Twin to me!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Vox has an EXCELLENT clean tone, I can only describe it as a sparkling chime.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Check out the reviews of Carvins - either the older x100B or the newer MTS series.

Boogies can be pretty clean but they're not known for their clean sound. I think even Santana has a Fender Twin in his rig for the clean stuff.

Fender also has that amp made for steel-guitar that is supposed to be ultra clean. I forget the model though.

I've never heard them but I understand the Peavey Joe Satriani amps are supposed to have a really clean channel on them. What sort of clean sound are you going for?

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

My understanding is that solid state amps have better clean tones... anyway, my Roland is crystal clear. In fact, I'll eventhrow out that my Behringer Blue Devil has AMAZING clean tones for an inexpensive amp...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Good point. I'm stuck in the tube era, and when I think of a guitar amp, automatically I think of a tube amp. An awful lot of jazz players, who don't want anything but a clean tone, use solid state amps.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

B.B. King uses Lab Systems amps, which are solid state. I also remember a lot of the jazz guys liked Polytone amps back in the 70s. I think they're still around too.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think they're still around too.

Jazz players? Yeah, they're still around.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I think they're still around too.

Jazz players? Yeah, they're still around.
I could see that coming! :lol:

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yep, the Fender Twin and JC120 are right at the top for clean tone. The Hot Rod Deluxe has an excellent clean tone, one of the best amps out there for this. The Peavey Classic 30 has a great clean channel too.

Don't know much about Mesa's. I really think you can get a pretty good clean tone with any amp. Marshall's are never considered good clean amps, but my DSL401 has a beautiful clean channel. It is more of a Rock tone than Fender's, but it's great.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

+1 for the Fender Twin

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote