Clear all

suggestions for an inexpensive distortion pedal

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sally45)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have an acoustic/electirc and lately I've been wanting to mess around with a heavier sound....I went to the beginer Q&A forum and someone suggested to check this out so...here I am...

does anyone know of a distorion pedal thats some what cheap, will mix well with an acoustic/electric, and give me the heavy metal feel I'm looking for?

thanks and any suggestions would be really great
-Sally

(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Oh, you're looking for heavy metal? That SD-1 is more of an overdrive pedal than a Distortion pedal. Some of the metal heads around here should be able to suggest something like the DS-1 or MetalZone pedal. I'm over my head when it comes to metal.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

As far as cheap goes, I went Guitar Center and they had some used pedals (Boss & others) that were like half off the original price.

What every someone here says that would be a good pedal for you. Take that info and look for them used in your local shops. You should find some good deals.

Good Luck

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have made a few purchases on Instrument Exchange and am very happy. They have a great guarantee. You get 48 hours to look over the gear you order. If you are unhappy for any reason, just send it back. You get 100% refund including shipping. I haven't sent anything back.

Go to Buy Music Gear, then Effects, then Single Floor Units.

You can pick up some real deals there.

Instrument Exchange

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@sally45)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks Wes and Tracker....looked around the sites and found a couple that look good (and cheap)

I like the boss sd-1 a lot but the only worry I have is it might not be as versitle as i'd like.... is there a pedal that can sound like "Crossroads" and "master of pupets" on different settings???

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You can hear sound clips of the SD-1 at the boss site which is right here http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=116

You can listen to all of them while your at it. Just go to the Compact Pedals area.

ReplyQuote
(@sally45)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

...I listened to it online and overall -it's nice....but I was talking to a friend and he said sometimes distortion pedals don't sound good with an acoustic/electric.."very boxy compared to the sustain of an electric"to be specific (in his opinion at least)

...any thoughts?

ReplyQuote
(@omega)
Estimable Member

I'ld like to say, I would advise you, to stay away from cheap plastic multi-effects pedals if possible, (such as Zoom) as they don't seem very reliable at all.

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
 tack
(@tack)

If you are looking for a heavier distortion try the Rocktron Rampage. I bought one a few years ago and it's an amazing pedal, so heavy yet so clear at the same time. The scoop on this pedal is just massive! Perfect for getting really heavy. :twisted: Also, it cleans up very well when you roll the guitar volume back a little. (But I don't know why anybody would ever want to do that. :lol: )

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040729223854068158014156642524/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/154224/

I wanna see it painted black, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I wanna see the sun, blotted out from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black

ReplyQuote