Clear all

Tube Amp Shopping

25 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I am looking for my next amp and after playing a few tube amps have definately decided on tube. But I am slightly inexperienced with amps and would like a few suggestions - just a few names to keeps in mind the next time I'm out.

I am looking for something with gigantic, warm, smooth, rumbling lows; thick mids; and crunchy highs (think Tool). I'm not really into shrieking clear amps, I want more of a rumbling growl.

Preferably $1,000 and under but I can be swayed to go higher if it is really worth it.

So any and all suggestions of any amp brand, line, or model that will give me a fat tube growl are greatly appreciated! :wink:

Sincerely

Tyler

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Want to sound like Tool, then probably a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, I believe this is the amp Adam Jones uses. These are expensive amps, probably have to pay around $1000 for the head alone, you will still need a cab. But check on EBay, you can find good deals.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Look at orange. Not just because I have one, but I lovee their low end. You could get a good Tool sound with the right distortion pedal. I think their combos sell for around 1000... Dunno tho.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Want to sound like Tool, then probably a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, I believe this is the amp Adam Jones uses. These are expensive amps, probably have to pay around $1000 for the head alone, you will still need a cab. But check on EBay, you can find good deals.
His "main" rig is consists of a 1976 Marshall bass amp and a Diezel VH4 both run through Mesa Boogie cabinets - usaully.

I don't really have the money for that, I was hoping to spend $1,000 in all.

I have mainly been looking at combos, but are there any great heads out there that will leave me with enough money to buy a cabinet for it?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

What's it for? Giggin'? Jammin'? Practice?

The reason I ask is because for the money you are talking about, more often than not, you need to crank the amp to get it to "sing" and you will be getting alot of power for that kind of money. So, 100watts won't do you much good if your only going to use 20watts of it (you know what I mean) and kind of the same token, if you are in a band and you have a full stack sitting next to a 30watt amp.......ummm.....someone's not gonna to be happy.

My point is, amps sound best cranked. If you can't crank it, what's the point in having it?

IMHO, get an amp that fits you and your surroundings best.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

The epiphone so-cal + cabinet runs you 800, which leaves you an extra 200 to upgrade the tubes or buy some effects.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

What about Peavey. The 6505 is supposed to be a cheaper version of the dual rectifier. This amp doesn't have clean channel but I have heard a lot of good things about it. This is the combo version:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-212-Combo-2x12-Guitar-Amp?sku=481433

There is also a head but then you have the adde cost of a cab.
I would certainly look into a used combo, if there are any. I don't think the combo have been out very long.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, considering your budget, and that you want modern high gain distortions, I would go with a Randall like this:

Randall RX120DHS

Randall is really going after Metalheads and specializes in this type of tone. Lots of modern bands are using Randall amps now. I have heard them and they are pretty awesome IMHO.

This is a pretty fantastic deal. You will get a 4 X 12 for that huge low end you are after. It has plenty of power to gig. It gets pretty good reviews too.

This would save you enough to invest in some good quality pedals. You should be able to get the heavy tones you are after easy.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@homestar_kevin)
Eminent Member

Carvin x100b. It's an older tube amp from mid 80s earliy 90s but a halfstack can be gotten for around 600. Amzing amps, it's what steve vai used before they made the legacy for him. It's 100 watts and can be switched to 50 or 25 tube watts, can be run at 8ohm 4ohm or 16ohms. really versatile, get a couple pedals and you can sound like anyone...anyone

Just my $.02

Kevin

I can't wait for someone to say something worth quoting here...

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I may have mislead you guys. I am not really looking for a "metal" amp.

I just wanted a few suggestions for a dynamic tube amp that has an excellent rumbling bite and a warm clean blues.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Something along the lines of:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Pro-Tube-Princeton-Recording-Amp?sku=483714
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482615

I really like the Fender, but I could afford a little more bite from its overdrive.

I really like the Vox, but I think I would be disappointed in a few months (I can already tell the difference between all-tube and bybrid). I haven't played many Vox amps - what series is similar to the AD50VT but uses all-tube?

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

I believe the AC series, ie: AC30 are thier all tube amps.

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I would definitely check out the new Peavey Windsor amps.

Peavey Windsor Tube Amp Head

and the cab for this amp head:

Peavey Windsor 4 X 12 Cab

Peavey has always made good reliable amps that sound very good. This amp has EL34 power tubes so it probably sounds very similar to a Marshall.

Check out Traynor as well.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

What are the characteristics of 6l6GC power tubes?

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I was thinking about the Koch Multi-tone but it's insanely expensive over there, it seems. Worth a look if you can find it cheaper.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Koch-Multitone-100W-Amp-Head?sku=489604

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2