Skip to content
Tube amps (I am ris...

Notifications
Clear all

Tube amps (I am risking looking silly here!)

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have a Marshall MG15dfx which I am happy with but I read all about tube amps vs solid state and when I have gone looking at amps I can't tell wich are tube or solid state....

So anyone want to enlighten me....

(embarrassment!)

Thanks

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey Blake,

The easienst way I can tell is by turning the thing around, looking into the back side... and looking for the TUBEs/Valves. Y'know they're the like the old Tube Radio/Tv Tubes (Not exactly, but you'll see an elongated Glass tube).

Or you just ask someone who works there??

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Pick it up. If it breaks your back it's tube. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Be careful about the asking thing. Ive talked to some salespeople and they were cool and all, really nice guys, but they had no idea what they were talking about. I was about to buy this one amp thinking it was tube but I didnt have all the money on me at the time (what can i say i buy in pure cash) so i went home... Looked it up, it was pure solid state. Woo hoo. Yeah that pissed me off. Well anyways, just always do your homework and dont buy on the first trip. You should be good if you do that. Good luck!

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I agree that the turn-it-around-and-look technique is the most reliable.
My tube amps are all lightweight. At 21 and 25 lbs., they are the same weight (±0.5 lbs.) or lighter (by a few pounds) than Behringer solid state amps with the same size speaker. A Fender tube amp, however, can break you in two. Weight has a lot to do with cabinet materials and speaker choice.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

kblake

Never feel embarrassed to ask a question, everyone is here to help.

Tube amps generally are much heavier than solid state amps. They are usually far more expensive as well. But there are a few lightweight tube amps.

Many amps today are hybrids. This means they have a tube(s) in the preamp. These are supposed to sound a little fuller and more colorful than solid states. And many hybrids do sound excellent today.

But a true tube (or valve) amp has tubes in the preamp and tubes in the power section as well. This is what tube enthusiasts want.

Everyone was right though. Turn the amp around and look in the back. Look for the tubes. You will usually see smaller preamp tubes and larger power tubes.

Here's a pretty good page about amps.

Guitar Amps

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

That's a great page Wes.
Thanks for sharing that.. I'm always on the lookout to expand my knowledge in all things of interest. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the tips guys, and great page Wes Thanks...

Now lets see if SANTA is going to make it to Sydney !!

Keith

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

my 67 fender bassman weighs a ton, wear a brace :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey now you mention bass amps my niece has a small 15watt bass amp (I think its an Ashtons, an el-chepo Australian brand) and I reckon it blows my Marshall MG15DFX out of the water...

Keith

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think in Oz you'd do better asking if it's a valve amp. Valve = tube.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

After you play on a all tube amps thats running at its saturation point you'll forget all about everything else.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

After you play on a all tube amps thats running at its saturation point you'll forget all about everything else.

Joe

Haha, that just about sums it up!

ReplyQuote