Clear all

Unbiased opinions

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

When biasing a tube amp, are there a basic set of tonal 'rules' for where you set it within the "sweet spot" range?

http://www.daughtersandsons.net -Cincinnati CEA Award winners for best original RnB/Funk band! (Bragging is in the user manual and encouraged)(Hi Mom)

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

No.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My ears are either like superman's, or you are correct and my ears are evil Eric Johnson Spawn. Probably spawn. But do all the negative sounds that are present when over or under biased just immediately dissapear instantly upon entering the sweet spot?

He said "...entering the sweet spot".

http://www.daughtersandsons.net -Cincinnati CEA Award winners for best original RnB/Funk band! (Bragging is in the user manual and encouraged)(Hi Mom)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Most of what's heard occurs between the ears.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Maybe I'm wrong but isn't the point to biasing an amp to make sure that the tubes are not in the "under-voltage" or "over-voltage" range: which is to prevent tube/amp wear? I could be wrong but I think tone is secondary to this.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Right.

ReplyQuote
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Maybe I'm wrong but isn't the point to biasing an amp to make sure that the tubes are not in the "under-voltage" or "over-voltage" range: which is to prevent tube/amp wear? I could be wrong but I think tone is secondary to this.

Yes, but there isn't just one number that is the right bias, there is a range. And I think that within that range I can hear a difference in the performance of the amp.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Bias is set by tube type, not by amp model, over biased amps(by ma readings) will shorten your transformer life, under biasing will kill your tubes faster.

Is there a range? Probabily, but I can't hear it! I rely more on the model of the amp for tone than modifying an existing amp, but then, I like reliability a lot too. I've fixed a lot of amps this year that were "hot rodded" by "experts". My favorite amp is an old traynor that I restored to original specs that blows my Marshall half stack out of the water in tone and sheer volume. I've also restored a couple of old Fenders to stock factory specs for other people and they say that they have never sounded better, and some of these guys swear that a Fender wouldn't sound good for thier kind of music. JMHO

A lot of people don't realize that tube amps are like wives or girlfriends, (or husbands!) they need some attention once in awhile or smoke comes out of their ears! :D

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote