Clear all

Upgrading Amps

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I had plans to sell my V-amp and buy seperate pedals, but I've changed my mind. I'm tired of trying forever to find a decent tone out of my setup, so I'm getting rid of it all. The V-Amp, the Princeton Chorus, and the Guitar Mate.

I want to get a small tube amp. I know everyone is on the bandwagon for the Epi Valve Junior, but I was thinking about getting a Peavey Classic. What other suggestions do you guys have?

Playing a Les Paul copy and soon a vintage Hagstrom. Looking for a blues tone, (SRV) and rock (Pearl Jam, Collective Soul) kind of sound.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Off He Goes

I think the Peavey Classic amps (20, 30, or 50) are excellent amps you will be very happy with. They have a excellent clean and overdrive channels. The overdrive channels on tube amps are like Classic Rock type distortion. So if you want heavy Metal or Grunge type tones you will still need pedals for that. But you just run them into your clean channel and you will get some great tones.

Getting a tube amp does not automatically give you great tones. You still have to take the time to get to know the amp and experiment with EQ settings to get the tones you want. And pedals or multi-efx have to be tweaked to sound their best too. But once you get everything tweaked right, you will get great tones you cannot truly get with any solid-state amp. And while tube amps are not nearly as versatile as today's modeling amps, you can still get a wide variety of tones through pedals and effects.

But if you really want to hear a tube amp at its best, CRANK IT UP! :twisted:

Let us know what you get.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote