Notifications
Clear all

Volume control with pedals.

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jamieo)
Topic starter  

Hello, I am wondering if such a pedal exists that can increase the volume for lead lines etc. At the minute when using a channel and footswitch of my amp, leads sound a little weak compared to playing rhythm on the same channel. The only way to correct this is to walk to the amp and turn up the master volume so that the lead can cut through a bit more. Is there any pedal that can do this job?? Many thanks.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it's called a volume pedal :D You wil set it to, for example, 60% during rhythm work and just step it to 100% for lead, and back to 60% for rhythm. You can also use it to control the ammount of distortion if you're amp is decent enough.

A basic volume pedal can be had for about $20 new (behringer) or a bit more for the brands like Boss.

ReplyQuote
(@jamieo)
Topic starter  

I've an AVT100, (which you're not a fan of I see :p) Would that be a decent enough amp? Thanks, I can't find a Boss one at the moment, are the Behringer ones good? Thanks for the help!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

For passive volume pedals, the standard-bearer is the Ernie Ball, but it streets for around $80-90 US. There is a full sized, as well as a slightly smaller "junior" version. It's simple very durable and easily refurbished with a new pot when the time comes (years). There are Hi-Z mono (the typical choice), stereo, stereo panning/volume version and low-Z versions for guitars with active pups.

Active pedals are also a consideration, but many do not work any better than a well made passive pedal -- though in theory, a properly designed active pedal should be better, by sucking less tone and buffering a good length of cable back to the amp.

Have a look through these: Volume-R-Us

(BTW, read specs carefully -- there's a difference between active pedals and pedals for active pups. I notice MF is a little loose with their terminology.)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jamieo)
Topic starter  

Also, sorry, I forgot to ask but will the addition of these pedals and such cause a lot of added hum and noise?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A good volume pedal will operate just like the volume control on your guitar. If you have no hum and noise problems with that, you shouldn't with the volume pedal -- assuming you use good quality, well shielded cables. The only noise you may eventually experience is the normal pot wear noise after lots of use (same for guitar volume control). When this starts to happen, it's time to clean or replace the pot.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hotrod-deluxe09)
Trusted Member

I was in the bookstore looking at guitar magazines the other day and they did a volume pedal round up. I think it was probably guitarworld or guitar player may wanna check that out and also harmony central will have reviews of any pedal you are looking at

MY GUITAR STUFF
a Fender Mexican strat w/ two single coil Semour Duncan pickups i have a fender hot rod deluxe all tube 40 W Effects: Zoom w/pedal, V-amp, Turbo Rat, Rocktron Banshee (talbox)(i mic it and the mic comes out of a gx-15 crate amp)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Saw that round up as well, and was thinking of it when I replied (plus I own several including the an Ernie Ball standard version): The Ernie Ball Junior won for the passive pedals, but I can't recall which won the active category.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jamieo)
Topic starter  

I'm not sure I understand the difference between active and passive?

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

active = electrified, it either plugs in or takes a battery and boosts the signal (just a little bit!) as it goes to the amp. This is also what is meant by active when you're talking about guitars and pickups: there's actually a power source attached to the guitar.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@jamieo)
Topic starter  

So which one do I want? :D

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The volume pedal round-up is in the current Guitar Player.

Winners are ...

Passive: Ernie Ball VP Junior @ $69 US street

Active: George Dennis GDO20 @ $130 US street

The also rans were
Passive: Boss, Vox
Active: Morley, Behringer

These were variously accused of tone sucking, electronic noise, and limited range

Go for the Ernie Ball -- simple, elegant, worth the price. If you do have active (battery powered) guitar pickups, get the 25k ohm version. If your guitar pups are passive (like most, no battery in the guitar), get the regular, 250k ohm version.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I use a different approach. I have the Wah and Volume pedal connected to an 1 volt out from one amp in another amp. How I have the second amp set doesn't really get any louder just more raw power. It creates the illusion that it's louder. It flat out gets down an boogie's. Both pedals are Morley's

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I take it that's from the line out of one amp to the input or FX return of the second. Okay, then the pedal must be controlling the drive into the second amp. How is that not changing loudness? Even if you are running it from less saturated to more saturated, it is still changing in power level, as the average audio power still increases though somewhat gently as it goes further into saturation. That is, peak power isn't changing much, but average (RMS) is.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I spend a considerable amount of time playing, designing, building, and experimenting. In order to take things beyond. The out was designed for connecting to high Ohm inputs. The tube effects prosscessor is one I built. I have attenuators set to allow the amps volume to only go so loud. I'm essentially overdriving the input and causing the amp to overdrive the output.

Pinch harmonics never sounded so sweet.

Joe

ReplyQuote